[Vision2020] Fw:[Spam 5.60] eBook Alert! Science busts 58 popular myths in Fact or Fiction

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Fri Aug 2 11:08:55 PDT 2013

-----Original Message-----
Subject: [Spam 5.60] eBook Alert! Science busts 58 popular myths in Fact or Fiction
From: "Scientific American"
To: lfalen at turbonet.com
Date: 08/02/13 16:40:10

Announcing a new eBook from Scientific American—A Look Back: The Best of 2012If you are unable to see the message below, click here to view.

 Click here to order Fact or Fiction: Science Tackles 58 Popular Myths for just $3.99!

 Myth-bust with our new eBook Fact or Fiction: Science Tackles 58 Popular Myths

 Health Habits Babies and Parents
 Mind and Brain Earth and Space
 Technology And More!

 A collection of our favorite truth-or-fiction articles is available now on your favorite device for only $3.99.

Dear Science Enthusiast,

While you are well-informed on the ins and outs of climate change and know more about the Higgs Boson than your dinner guests care to hear, it can be refreshing to learn the everyday science behind old wives’ tales and oft-repeated advice that may or may not have any grounding in truth.

This summer, Scientific American presents Fact or Fiction: Science Tackles 58 Popular Myths. In it, we've selected the most surprising, fascinating, useful and just plain wacky questions confronted by our writers over the years, including:

 - Did NASA create a million-dollar space pen
 - Can men breastfeed
 - Is chocolate poisonous to dogs
 - Does urine relieve the sting of a jellyfish
 - Do black holes sing
 - How big is infinity
With such an expansive range of everyday myths and curiosities, there is something in this eBook for everyone, from the Trivial Pursuit enthusiasts to those passionately interested in the science of spring fever.

 Court Jesters in the Animal Kingdom
 The oddities in the animal world populate the first section of this eBook. beginning with the age-old question of whether or not dogs can eat chocolate and ending with the mystery of flying squid. In between we look at Komodo dragon virgin births, cats’ taste buds and a mushroom larger than a whale.

Order now to read more about the bizarre fellow inhabitants of our planet.

 The Necessity of Vitamins and other Fables

   We all have habits that are either ingrained by our culture or stem from what seems like common sense. We wash our hands with antibacterial soap, pop multivitamins and try not to swallow our gum for fear of it lingering for seven years. But these common behaviors are often less beneficial than we think. They can be perfectly useless or even harmful. Sections Five and Six focus on health and the body and the surprising truths behind our daily routines.

Order now to learn more!

 More eBooks from Scientific American

 Seeking the Multiverse Living Healthy

   Parallel universes allow us to explore the question, "what if?" in a way that lets us step completely outside the world we know.
    The key to living healthfully is making informed choices, whether those involve the food we eat, where to live or the ideal weight.

 The Science of Memory A Question of Time

   The process of how we remember, how we forget and why we remember certain things and not others is a rich subject of scientific inquiry.
    "What time is it?" That simple question is probably asked more often in contemporary society than ever before, but the answer is anything but simple.

Sign Up for other Scientific American Newsletters | Manage Your Profile | Forward to a Friend

This message was sent to: lfalen at turbonet.com
If you would like to change your email address or alter your HTML/Text preference for this Scientific American mailing, use this link to set up your profile.

Scientific American values your privacy and will promptly remove your email address if you wish to unsubscribe. In many instances we can remove your email address from our list within 24 to 48 hours, but in some instances it may take up to 10 business days.

If you wish to unsubscribe from Scientific American Special Offers and Announcement emails, click here.

Please send any comments, feedback or complaints regarding Scientific American's email newsletters to webmaster at sciam.com.

This message was sent by ScientificAmerican.com using Silverpop(TM).
Use this link to view our privacy policy.

This email was sent by:
Scientific American
75 Varick St,
New York, NY, 10013, USA
Macmillan Publishers Limited is a company incorporated in England and Wales under company number 785998 and whose registered office is located at Brunel Road, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS.
© 2013 Nature Publishing Group, a division of Macmillan Publishers Limited. All rights reserved.
Scientific American is a trademark of Scientific American, Inc., used with permission.