[Vision2020] Hundreds of gay couples married in Minnesota wedding blitz

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Aug 1 20:14:44 PDT 2013

Courtesy of WTSP (Tampa Bay, Florida) at:

http://tinyurl.com/nadj25x

--------------------------------------
Hundreds of gay couples married in Minnesota wedding blitz
MINNEAPOLIS (KARE11) - He was tired and hoarse, but Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak still wore a smile on his face after uniting dozens of same-sex couples in a ceremony that ushers in a new era in the state of Minnesota.

"I promise next time something big happens I'll keep my big mouth shut," he laughed.

Rybak made a promise immediately after Minnesota legislators legalized same-sex marriage that he would officiate the first ceremony after the clock struck midnight August 1. He kept his word, steering an emotional and historic event as 46 same-sex couples tied the knot.

The ceremony began at midnight and wound up at approximately 6:45 a.m. An estimated 1,000 people packed the City Hall Rotunda.

The ceremony began at midnight and wound up at approximately 6:45 a.m. An estimated 1,000 people packed the City Hall Rotunda.

It's an amazingly powerful experience, both because we're here with so many people, friends and family but mostly because we're here with a broader community celebrating this incredible historic moment," Tembrooke told KARE 11 moments before they became the first couple Rybak would marry.

"We believed marriage would come to us, but I don't think we knew it would be married in city hall by the mayor in front of 900 people," Miles added with a laugh.

Across the river in St. Paul, Paul Nolle and Reid Bordson were married just after the stroke of midnight at the Como Park Zoo and Conservatory. Nolle, a native of Green Bay, and Bordson, a native of Duluth, have been together for 13 years. They had a commitment ceremony ten years ago but being legally married opens a brand new chapter in their lives together.

"This is the most beautiful place for a wedding we have ever seen," Bordson said. "It is also thrilling to have been married in the very city, the capital, where all the political action occurred just a few months ago."

http://www.MoscowCares.com

"There's room at the top they are telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill

- John Lennon