[Vision2020] Family Medicine in Moscow

Rosemary Huskey donaldrose at cpcinternet.com
Thu Aug 1 14:45:43 PDT 2013

There appears to be a general consensus (both off and on V2020) that Moscow
Family Medicine is not the friendly, patient oriented practice it was
historically.  I think all of us old timers can agree that the management
philosophy is distinctly at odds with the service oriented care that helped
to build Moscow Family Medicine in the first place. This phenomenon is not
unique to Moscow Family Medicine. Frequently, when original founders move
on, retire, or limit their practice their goals and practice principles are
replaced by incoming practitioners and managers who don't share the initial
business/provider perspectives. This may be a partial cause of their fall
from grace.  There are many other reasons, of course.

There is a simple solution to the plethora of unmet needs associated with
Moscow Family Medicine.  Gritman Hospital has three outpatient clinics in
the county.  My immediate and extended family goes to the Troy Clinic. We
are pleased beyond words with the very fine medical care and pleasant,
respectful attention given to patients.   Gritman is not only providing a
long needed asset to rural areas they have gained valuable experience in
running medical clinics that are geared to meeting patient needs in a
timely, professional manner.  We have never encountered that "Dr. Humteyhump
doesn't have an opening for three weeks go to Quick Care" baloney.

I think it would be a worthwhile discussion if Gritman Board members (I hope
there are some 2020 readers who either know or are board members and could
pass this along) were to address the lack of competition in Moscow for folks
whose needs are best met by Family Practice physicians.  Gritman has the
expertise, interest, and commitment to offer a successful family practice
alternative that is patient oriented, cost effective, and community
oriented.  (Need I mention that the sooner alternatives could be offered the
better the community would be served?  And, while the Clinic conversation is
on the table, could it also include the hiring of Nurse Midwives to put a
halt to the do-it-yourself-granny-fanny-herb-and-root midwives lurking on
the Palouse?)

Although I don't have a dog in the fight, I am curious, is it management or
physicians/owners at Moscow Family Medicine that currently set the tone of
the practice? Somebody is doing a piss poor job running the joint that much
is clear.  On the other hand, since patients are voting with their feet it
may be a moot question.  Competition is the best prescription and there are
absolutely no counter-indications or untoward side effects.

Rose Huskey