[Vision2020] Latah County Sheriff Wayne Rausch and the Daily News

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Apr 24 18:11:44 PDT 2013

Courtesy of Latah County Sheriff Wayne Rausch at:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=283411668460940&id=179091888892919

--------------------------------------

Here I am again, attacked by another brilliant editorial written by the Editorial Staff of the Moscow-Pullman Daily News. Unfortunately, the days of investigative journalism, much like respect and common sense are a thing of the past. The alternative is to quote someone else's work as though it was "the whole truth and nothing but the truth." Naturally, the study must be infallible, as it is a written document, and we have to believe it's true. Besides, it's easier and much more fun to proclaim that I am "a squeaky wheel" who "doesn't play well with others."

Of course, this is the same press that praised me several years ago for my cooperative effort with former Moscow Police Chief, Dan Weaver, as we were trying to form a Joint Law Enforcement Center in the Moscow area. The BOCC backed out at the last second, and left Dan, the Moscow City Council and I standing there in the bright headlight of an on-coming train. I don't remember the MPDN taking any of the Commissioners to task for "not playing well with others." Regardless, MPDN's opinion and reality are miles apart, and there is still a lot of resentment amongst the City Council members still there. Also, rather than the $10,000 that Commissioner Stroschein insisted on spending this round, that study cost the county $25,000, but not a peep from the Editorial Board. Just as the old saying goes, "different strokes for different folks."

It is interesting to note that accompanying this report were many pages of communication from the Prosecutor's Office documenting the potential statutory problems with attempting to use E911 funds for paying dispatcher salaries. The Prosecutor's Office also suggested that because the voters of the City of Moscow had voted to go to Whitcom, and the voters of Latah County had voted to remain as a standalone entity, it would probably require a special election seeking voter approval for the Sheriff's Office to contract with Whitcom, and not just the approval of the BOCC. I'm sure the MPDN was aware of this, but what the heck, if the details don't match your opinion, simply ignore them!

Where did the editorial mention that overwhelmingly, our end-user's letters and emails sent to the BOCC urged them to keep the Dispatch Center with the Latah County Sheriff's Office? Is it not telling when the very entities we serve don't want the BOCC to make a change to Whitcom? Could they possibly know something the MPDN doesn't? Once again, what is investigative reporting? Apparently nothing for a newspaper to be concerned with!

Grab you third grader and ask them the answer to this question. Which is greater, $503,000 or $348,000? The study states Whitcom's quote is $283,000 annually for their dispatch service. The study also agrees that the Latah County Sheriff's Office would need a minimum of five full-time receptionists to operate the window in the foyer for 24/7 coverage. The study's estimate, including wages and benefits, is $220,000 annually. Adding $283,000 to $220,000, one comes up with $503,000 (admittedly, conventional math, not MPDN math). Our current dispatcher salaries and benefits, etc., come to $348,000. The difference is $155,000 more annually to go to Whitcom than to stay here with what we're doing. So how can this be you ask? The study estimates that the county collects approximately $210,000 annually from land line and cellular fees. The study mistakenly makes the assumption that this $210,000 can be sent to Whitcom to cover part of the cost of the service contract. I would urge those so inclined to believe this to contact the Prosecutor's Office. Only a very small portion of those funds could be used to off-set the contract. Only those duties and tasks specifically performing 911 duties can be paid from that fund. The study also fails to consider that if all the 911 fees went to Whitcom to off-set the dispatch contract, there would be no money left to purchase new equipment or to make necessary repairs and maintenance. This money would have to come out of the General Fund. Currently, the BOCC funds nothing in our Communications line.

Ultimately, my resistance to going to Whitcom is born of one thing: I want to provide the best possible service for the best possible price. Apparently, the MPDN doesn't think I do that, but the rural fire departments and emergency medical services disagree. My heartfelt thank you to those of you who can think for yourselves!

Sheriff Rausch

Perhaps Jeanne McHale said it best when she put it to music . . .

"The Daily News Song" by Jeanne McHale
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E3kcYQztDDA

Seeya round town, Moscow, because . . .

http://www.MoscowCares.com

"There's room at the top they are telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill

- John Lennon