[Vision2020] PR - Mayor to Facilitate Environmental Decision-Making Panel

Stephanie Kalasz skalasz at ci.moscow.id.us
Thu Apr 18 10:33:11 PDT 2013

City of Moscow
206 E Third Street
Moscow, ID 83843
Contact: Gary J. Riedner, City Supervisor
p     |  208.883.7006
e     |   griedner at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:griedner at ci.moscow.id.us>
w    |  www.ci.moscow.id.us<http://www.ci.moscow.id.us>

PRESS RELEASE
Mayor Nancy Chaney to Facilitate Environmental Decision-Making Panel

April 18, 2013 (Moscow, Idaho) - Moscow Mayor Nancy Chaney will facilitate a panel discussion about environmental decision-making on Wednesday April 24, from 12:00 - 2:00 p.m. in the Commons Clearwater Room on the University of Idaho campus. The event is hosted by the University of Idaho Sustainability Center as part of the Green Lunch Series and Earth Fest. Panelists include Don Crawford, Professor Emeritus of Microbiology and former director of Environmental Science; Traci Craig, Chair of the Department of Psychology and Communication Studies; John Lawrence, Professor of Business and the Coeur d'Alene Mines Executive MBA Faculty Fellow; and Kevin Decker, PhD Candidate and an Integrated Graduate Education Research Traineeship (IGERT) Research Fellow.

Panelists will discuss the logic and motivation for environmental choices based on economics, ecosystem health, psychology, and social norms.

"My objective is to cause people to think about why environmental issues are emotionally charged, the serious consequences to our actions and inactions, and how we can communicate effectively with people whose perspectives differ from our own," Chaney said.

The student coordinator for the event is Tessa Jilot, who is pursuing master's degrees in Conservation Social Science and Public Administration.  Jilot is the Recycling coordinator for the Sustainability Center and the Sustainability Intern for the City of Moscow, and she previously served as a volunteer on Moscow Sustainable Environment Commission.

The program is open to the public. Free pizza and a specially decorated cake will be served.

###

Story Contact: Jen Pfiffner, Assistant to the City Supervisor
Phone: 208.883.7123
Email: jpfiffner at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:jpfiffner at ci.moscow.id.us>

The City of Moscow delivers quality municipal services while ensuring responsible use of resources.
We anticipate and meet the needs of our diverse population in order to build public trust and enhance a sense of community.