[Vision2020] PR - Moscow Named Tree City USA

Don Coombs wildmushroomer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 16:41:45 PDT 2013

And yet Moscow has some of the ugliest trees in the country -- with their
hearts sawed out during as-cheap-as-possible pruning to protect power lines.

You can't have trees growing into power lines, but you could prune the
whole tree and leave it looking like a tree, AND you could make more of an
effort to limit what species are planted under power lines in the first
place. That's what a tree commission should be looking to accomplish. (Fast
growing, tall species are a mistake.)

I think the Arbor Day Foundation needs to require a little more before
handing out its award.

Don Coombs

*April 16, 2013 (Moscow, Idaho) — *Moscow, Idaho was named a 2012 Tree City
USA by the Arbor Day Foundation in honor of its commitment to effective
urban forest management.  This is the 20th year Moscow has earned the
national designation.

Moscow achieved Tree City USA recognition by meeting the program’s four
requirements: a tree board or department, a tree-care ordinance, an annual
community forestry budget of a least $2 per capital and an Arbor Day
observance and proclamation.

The Tree City USA program is sponsored by the Arbor Day Foundation, in
partnership with the U.S. Forest Service and the National Association of
State Foresters.

“Everyone benefits when elected officials, volunteers and committed
citizens, in communities like Moscow make smart investments in urban
forests,” said John Rosenow, founder and chief executive of the Arbor Day
Foundation.  “Trees bring shade to our homes and beauty to our
neighborhoods along with numerous economic, social and environmental
benefits.”

Cleaner air, improved storm water management, energy savings and increased
property values and commercial activity are among the benefits enjoyed by
Tree City USA communities.

More information about Tree City USA can be found at
www.arborday.org/TreeCityUSA.

About the Arbor Day Foundation: The Arbor Day Foundation is a nonprofit,
conservation and education organization of one million members, with the
mission to inspire people to plant, nurture and celebrate trees.  More
information on the Foundation and its programs can be found at arborday.org,
or by visiting us on Facebook, Twitter or our blog.

*###*

* *

vision2020 at moscow.com
Cc