[Vision2020] guns and intimidation

Ron Force rforce2003 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 8 10:51:53 PDT 2013

I thought this piece was thought-provoking, and gives a clue why reasoning isn't effective. I still remember the emotion from my youth.

“Nobody really believes it’s about maintaining a militia. It’s about having possession of a tool that makes a person feel powerful nearly to the point of exaltation. …I am not saying that people who love guns inordinately are unstable; I am saying that a gun is the most powerful device there is to accessorize the ego.”
It’s true. Everyone, men especially, needs ego-accessories, and they are most often irrationally chosen. Middle-aged stockbrokers in New York collect Stratocasters and Telecasters they’ll never play; Jay Leno and Jerry Seinfeld own more cars than they can drive. Wine cellars fill up with wine that will never be drunk. The propaganda for guns and the identification of gun violence with masculinity is so overpoweringly strong in our culture that it is indeed hard to ask those who already feel disempowered to resist their allure. If we asked all those middle-aged bankers to put away their Strats—an activity that their next-door neighbors would bless—they would be indignant. It’s not about music; it’s about me, they would say, and my right to own a thing that makes me happy. And so with guns.

Read more: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2013/04/the-cultural-fight-for-guns.html#ixzz2PtZ38JrI

Ron Force
Moscow Idaho USA