[Vision2020] Moscow council angers attendees

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Apr 2 08:45:11 PDT 2013

"Councilor Dan Carscallen said he felt the council had taken enough public opinion.
'We've received a volume of emails and, honestly, do we need to hear more?' he said."
YES, Mr. Carscallen.  The opportunity MUST be afforded to the people of Moscow (your constituents) to voice their opinions TO THE CITY COUNCIL, as was promised in an earlier session.  Remember?

Courtesy of today's (April 2, 2013) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

-------------------------------------
Moscow council angers attendees
Moscow Mayor Nancy Chaney and a score of residents were outraged by the City Council's decision Monday to pass an antidiscrimination ordinance without taking public comment from many who had come out and waited hours for such a chance.
The ordinance prohibits discrimination in housing and employment based on sexual orientation and gender identity, and makes such a violation a misdemeanor criminal offense unless mediated through the city attorney's office.
Councilor Dan Carscallen said he felt the council had taken enough public opinion.
"We've received a volume of emails and, honestly, do we need to hear more?" he said.
Chaney said the ordinance is significant in society - neither the state nor federal human rights acts offer protections for sexual orientation and gender identity - and warranted discussion from all sides.
"I think this is a matter of more importance than to bamboozle the chair," she said, who begged councilors not to entertain the motion and allow public comment following a presentation of the ordinance by City Supervisor Gary Riedner.
Carscallen said he still wanted to hear the presentation, but made the motion with Councilor Wayne Krauss seconding it. The ordinance passed unanimously. Chaney said she expected this action to put a blight on the city.
"We have made history in the state of Idaho again," said Chaney.
Moscow attorney Tim Gresback compared the action by the council to "Alice in Wonderland," where "the sentencing took place before the trial."
"I'm very troubled. Even though I took the night off to speak in support of the ordinance," Gresback said. "I'm extremely troubled by the City Council denying a Moscow resident the right to come out and speak against this important issue."
Judd Wilson was one of those opposed to the ordinance, and he called the council's decision to not take comment un-American and bad policy. A member of the fair and affordable housing commission, which took an affirmative stance on the ordinance, he said he came to speak as a resident.
"Clearly, the Bible teaches that this is not only unnatural and harmful," Wilson said of homosexuality, "but morally wrong and corrosive to society."
Henry Johnston, an openly gay Moscow resident, took credit for the lack of public comment and an email he submitted to the council was also cited by Chaney where he asked that councilors pass the ordinance and "make a statement that Moscow believes this is the right thing to do and it is so important that no discussion is required."
"She hates me with a passion," said Johnston Monday night. "The sad part is she and I agree on this thing."
Councilor Walter Steed shot back at Chaney when she attempted to move to the next agenda item Monday, stating passage of the ordinance did not preclude public feedback.
"I don't like the council being painted as cutting off public comment," he said.
Under the ordinance, an employer would not be allowed to refuse to hire or fire a person for their sexual orientation or gender identity, or to deny an employee advancement or training on that same basis. It would also prevent businesses from refusing to serve a person based on their sexual orientation or gender identity. On the housing side, refusal to sell, buy or rent property or to repair, maintain or improve it would also be prohibited if it were the result of such discrimination.
Exceptions include religious entities, other governments and agencies, boarding houses, private clubs or institutions and two-family dwellings, such as duplexes, where the property owner or a relative lives in one of the units.
Under the ordinance, anyone believing themselves to be discriminated against would file a report with the Moscow Police Department, which would conduct an investigation and file a report with the city prosecutor to validate whether the claim constitutes an offense under the ordinance. If so, mediation would be attempted between the two parties by the city attorney with the offender facing a misdemeanor if a resolution can't be met, Riedner said. If the defendant takes remediation steps, the penalty could be reduced to an infraction. Should both parties settle, the charge would be dismissed.

A video of this segment of last night's city council session will be publicly posted online later today.

Seeya round town, Moscow, because . . .

http://www.MoscowCares.com

"There's room at the top they are telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill

- John Lennon