[Vision2020] Another perspective on free speech

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 13:08:57 PDT 2012

I wasn't intending to make a judgment about any particular case. I'm a philosopher not a judge. I'm only saying we all agree there are some cases: slander, falsely yelling "fire."

Further if you think some speech can be restricted likely you think that that speech is harmful or might lead to harm, or that the speech is offensive and we can restrict offensive speech.

It might be that you and Tom have similar views about free speech but one of you finds the expression potentially harmful and the other doesn't. Joe