[Vision2020] Exploiting the Prophet

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 14:33:07 PDT 2012

Thanks very much, Nick. "Moral freedom" is a good way to characterize
it. If so, we should say that moral freedom is not closed under
entailment. Thus, the following is invalid:

Joe is morally free to critic religion X.
That Joe critics religion X entails that Joe is insulting.
Therefore, Joe is morally free to insult.

The important thing is that there is a kind of modal operator,
something that attaches to a proposition (true/false sentence) to form
another proposition. Some operators are closed under entailment and
some are not. The negation operator "it is not the case that" is not,
for this is invalid.

It is not the case that all philosophers are men.
That all philosophers are men entails that Joe (a philosopher) is a man.
Therefore, it is not the case that Joe (a philosopher) is a man.

Bad argument because "it is not the case that" is not closed under
entailment. My view is that generally speaking ethical operators (like
moral responsibility operators and moral freedom operators) are not.

Best, Joe