[Vision2020] It's Not Rocket Science

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 04:20:24 PDT 2012

Sex abuse files prompt calls for Boy Scouts ousters
By the CNN Wire Staff
updated 5:28 PM EDT, Mon September 17, 2012

*(CNN)* -- A sex abuse support group called on the Boy Scouts of America to
oust any official still with the organization who was involved in covering
up child sex crimes.

The demand by the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests was in
reaction to a Los Angeles Times
story<http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-boy-scouts-files-20120916,0,6937684.story>detailing
previously sealed files that it said showed scouting officials
"failed to report hundreds of alleged child molesters to police and often
hid the allegations from parents and the public."
 *Some abuse of Boy Scouts never reported*

The 1,600 "ineligible volunteer" files from 1970 to 1991 reviewed by the
Times were obtained through a 1992 lawsuit against the Boy Scouts, the
newspaper reported Sunday. The "perversion files" were a blacklist of
alleged sexual molesters, it said.

L.A. Times reporter on sexual abuse cover-up in Boy Scouts of
America<http://startingpoint.blogs.cnn.com/2012/09/17/l-a-times-reporter-jason-felch-on-the-shocking-story-of-a-sexual-abuse-cover-up-in-boy-scouts-of-america/>

Although the Scouts learned of most of the abuse allegations after they
were reported to authorities, the organization learned about more than 500
instances from boys, parents, staff members or anonymous tips, the paper
said.

"In about 400 of those cases -- 80% -- there is no record of Scouting
officials reporting the allegations to police," the Times reported. "In
more than 100 of the cases, officials actively sought to conceal the
alleged abuse or allowed the suspects to hide it."

"Here's the next step in the Boy Scouts child sex abuse and cover up
scandal: Every Scout official who knew of or suspected or concealed these
heinous crimes should be ousted and, if possible, prosecuted for failure to
report possible child sex crimes to law enforcement," SNAP Director David
Clohessy said.

The files reviewed by the Times were "from approximately 40 years ago, when
the BSA served approximately 5 million young people each year," Boy Scouts
spokesman Deron Smith said in a statement Monday.

"We have always cooperated fully (with) law enforcement, and now require
our members to report even suspicion of abuse directly to local law
enforcement," Smith said.

The Boy Scouts "continuously enhanced its multi-tiered policies and
procedures, which now include background checks, comprehensive training
programs, and safety policies," Smith said. The organization's current
education and training programs to protect children from abuse "are among
the best in the youth-serving community," he said.

"It's not enough to say 'we're doing better these days,' " Clohessy said.
"Scout officials deceived parents, police and the public about child
molesters in the past. How can we believe them when they claim now that
they've stopped?"

Prosecutors should look at the files "for men who might still be pursued
criminally for committing, causing and concealing devastating child sex
crimes," Clohessy said.

"The Boy Scouts of America believes that one instance of abuse is far too
many," Smith said. "We regret there have been times when despite the BSA's
best efforts to protect children, Scouts were abused, and for that we are
very sorry and extend our deepest sympathies to victims."

--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
art.deco.studios at gmail.com