[Vision2020] warrant-less wiretapping

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 13 18:36:19 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, the House reauthorized the FISA Amendments Act, lovingly
known and the warrant-less wiretapping law.  111 Democrats voted against
it, as did 7 Republicans.  One of them, unsurprisingly, was Ron Paul.
If you don't remember, this was one of those abuses of civil liberties
that Sunil and I prattle on about upon occasion that was a nice gift to
this nation by the Bush Administration.  I seem to remember lots of us
up in arms about it (for good reason), when it first went into effect to
legalise what was already happening.

This can be used as a test to see what President Obama does with it.
Will he veto the bill?  Will he sign it without protest?  Is he in favor
of it?  Is he against it?  Currently, according to the article, Senator
Wyden has put a hold on a similar bill in the Senate, so I don't know if
he it will end up coming up for a veto before the election comes
around.  If it does, we can use it as a test of our President's
commitment to civil liberties and the Constitution.

Why do I think this is a law that is a blow to our civil liberties?
Because they have been using this law to store and search a huge store
of domestic communications, without warrants, and almost without
oversight, for years.  Because getting a warrant was too much trouble
and would let the terrorists win, or some such crap.

For those that don't recall, the text of the Fourth Amendment:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers,
supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place
to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Let's see what happens.

Paul