[Vision2020] Gary Johnson, Libertarian Party Presidential Candidate

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 21:58:12 PDT 2012

I'm not as staunchly against ObamaCare as some of the Republicans and
Libertarians are.  I do like the idea of tort reform and working to stop
frivolous lawsuits, though.  I remember hearing years ago that
malpractice insurance was driving up the cost of treatment a significant
amount.

Myself, I've spent too many days sitting as a guest in a hospital room
while one family member or other was recovering from something (or not)
not to avoid the health care industry as much as I can possibly get away
with.  I came down with a bad case of pneumonia and it still took days
before I decided I needed to go to Quick Care.  That's not to say that
they don't do great work and save lives, but I choose not to participate
as much as I can. I take vitamin D-3 and melatonin every night, and I'll
occasionally take a couple of aspirin when I have a headache that is bad
enough or some NyQuil when I have a bad enough cold.  To me, health care
is something you make use of when you're dying or otherwise in bad need
of help.  I've been lucky enough that I can get away with such a
philosophy.  I also understand that I'm nowhere near the norm, so I'm
probably the wrong person to ask about this.

But, for what it's worth, I wish we'd treat medicine as something we
only take when we absolutely have to, rather than having people
pressuring their doctors to give them a particular prescription because
the saw an advert for it on TV, or having doctors prescribe certain
drugs because the company that sells them is pressuring them to do so.
If you have trouble with allergies, try other things before you take the
allergy medicine.  If you can't sleep, do what you can before you take
the cool-sounding drug with the horrible list of side effects.

I would like to see emergency treatment available to everyone, but the
flip side of that is that everyone doesn't get any prescription they
think they might need at the drop of a hat.

Anyway, it's not his position on health care I'm interested in. It's his
position on torture, due process, Guantanimo, the Patriot act,
assassination-by-drone, warrant-less wiretaps, and a host of other
similar issues that I'm really interested in.

Paul