[Vision2020] Demand slows to trickle

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Sep 11 13:06:34 PDT 2012

Courtesy of the "Letters" section of today's Spokesman-Review with thanks
to Howard Herman of Spokane Valley.

--------------------------------

Demand slows to trickle

The article “Low taxes create jobs” (Sept. 3) shows how young and old
alike have been brainwashed into accepting the trickle-down theory of
economics. There is one thing, and one thing alone, that induces an
entrepreneur to start a business, to increase inventory, or hire
employees, and that is the prospect of selling his goods at a profit.

History shows us that regardless of the tax structure, if there is a
profit to be made, some entrepreneur will spend whatever is necessary to
go after that profit. This country has been laboring under the
trickle-down policy for the past 30 years, and if that policy produced
jobs, we would have a labor shortage in this country.

A demand for goods and services is created when the middle- and low-income
classes have jobs and money to spend, and a tax break to those segments of
society would create a modest demand for goods and services.

Currently, we are the richest country in the world, but the riches are
largely held by less than 10 percent of the population who already have
historically low income tax rates. We know where the wealth is. Where are
the trickle-down jobs?

Howard Herman
Spokane Valley

Seeya round town, Moscow.

The Pessimist complains about the wind, the Optimist expects it to change
and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Author Unknown