[Vision2020] Slurs only bolster Sandra Fluke's cause

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 06:57:37 PDT 2012

<https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2012%2F09%2F10%2Fopinion%2Ffrum-sandra-fluke-slurs%2Findex.html&text=Slurs%20only%20bolster%20Sandra%20Fluke%27s%20cause&hashtags=cnn>
<http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/10/opinion/frum-sandra-fluke-slurs/index.html#>
Slurs only bolster Sandra Fluke's cause
By *David Frum*, CNN Contributor
updated 5:34 AM EDT, Tue September 11, 2012
 [image: Sandra Fluke speaks at the Democratic National Convention. The
conservative blogosphere went mad, David Frum says.]
Sandra Fluke speaks at the Democratic National Convention. The conservative
blogosphere went mad, David Frum says.
 *STORY HIGHLIGHTS*

   - David Frum: Sandra Fluke's speech at DNC sparked the most conservative
   outrage
   - It goes back to Rush Limbaugh's sexualized, brutal attacks on her
   after testimony, he says
   - Frum: Fluke wanted her college insurance to cover birth control,
   funded by tuition, not taxes
   - Frum: Disagree that religious schools include birth control in
   insurance, but don't revile her

 *Editor's note: David Frum is a contributing editor at Newsweek and The
Daily Beast and a CNN contributor. He is the author of seven books,
including a new novel,
"Patriots<http://www.amazon.com/Patriots-ebook/dp/B007NLP46E>
."*

*(CNN)* -- Of all the speeches at the Democratic convention in Charlotte,
North Carolina, few offended conservative listeners more than the speech by
Sandra Fluke.

There are plenty of good reasons to be annoyed. From the conservative point
of view, Fluke is on the wrong side of a battle over religious freedom.
Back in March, she testified in favor of a proposed Obama administration
rule that would require Catholic institutions, like her own Georgetown
University law school, to reject the teaching of their church and cover
contraception in their university health plans -- plans not funded by
taxpayers, by the way, but by tuition and other university revenues.

Now here Fluke was again, on the national
stage<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/05/sandra-fluke-speech-text-_n_1852635.html?utm_hp_ref=elections-2012>,
warning that a vote for the Republican ticket in 2012 was a vote for "an
America in which you have a new vice president who co-sponsored a bill that
would allow pregnant women to die preventable deaths in our emergency
rooms. An America in which states humiliate women by forcing us to endure
invasive ultrasounds we don't want and our doctors say we don't need.
 [image: David Frum]
David Frum

"An America in which access to birth control is controlled by people who
will never use it; in which politicians redefine rape so survivors are
victimized all over again; in which someone decides which domestic violence
victims deserve help, and which don't."

Shortly before Fluke spoke, conservative commentator Ann Coulter had
tweeted: "Bill Clinton just impregnated Sandra Fluke backstage."

That was nothing compared with the outpouring of fury during and after the
speech.

Stephen Kruiser, who hosts on the conservative Internet video site PJTV and
appears on Fox's "Red Eye," tweeted mid-speech: "Tricky camera work to keep
TV audience from seeing (David) Axelrod's hand up Fluke's a**."

The next day, National Review columnist and sometime Rush Limbaugh guest
host Mark Steyn
scoffed<http://www.ocregister.com/opinion/america-370703-fluke-one.html>:
"Sandra Fluke has been blessed with a quarter-million dollars of elite
education ... and she has concluded that the most urgent need facing the
Brokest Nation in History is for someone else to pay for the contraception
of 30-year-old children."

Sandra Fluke: Slurs won't silence
women<http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/13/opinion/fluke-contraception/index.html>

James Taranto, columnist for the online edition of The Wall Street Journal,
was nearly equally scathing. "Seriously, the party of Andrew Jackson and
Franklin D. Roosevelt and Harry S. Truman chose to showcase someone whose
claim to fame is that she demands that somebody else pay for her birth
control."

Within 48 hours, the attack had jumped from the conservative media sphere
to electoral politics. Campaigning in Addison, Wisconsin, Republican
congressional candidate Joe Walsh