[Vision2020] Caturday (September 8, 2012)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Sep 8 06:20:52 PDT 2012

Courtesy of Mail Online (London, England) at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2199195/Confused-cat-sets-home-owl-nesting-box-20ft-tree-gives-birth-kittens.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

------------------------------------

The owls and the pussycats who lived up a tree! Confused mother gives birth to four kittens in nesting box 20ft up (after previous owners moved out)

Having a catflap-sized hole and being far away from foxes is a decent outdoor home for any moggy.

But you wouldn't have expected this black and white cat to move into an owl box 20ft up an old oak tree - clambering up and giving birth to four cute kittens there.

The box, which was put up on private woodland near Rugby, Warwickshire, around four years ago to attract more wildlife to the area, had previously been home to a family of Little Owls.

But the newborn cats are now honing their hunting skills and leaping between branches on the tree.

Photographer Paul Bunyard saw them relaxing in the sun and poking their heads through the box’s catflap sized hole.

The 41-year-old said: ‘The estate management put four barn owl boxes up about four years ago in a bid to attract more wildlife to the area. We have had mixed success with this particular box.

‘Nothing nested in the first year, we had a family of Little Owls in the second, nothing in the third, and now these cats in the fourth.

‘One of the estate workers was shocked to see the mother cat and her kittens poking their head out of the box. It was a real “wow” moment.

‘He phoned me immediately and I didn’t hesitate to get down to the site with my camera. I was equally amazed.’

'One of the estate workers was shocked to see the mother cat and her kittens poking their head out of the box. It was a real "wow" moment'

Paul Bunyard, photographer

The wild cats have previously nested in a nearby barn, where workers store chopped wood.

But Mr Bunyard added: ‘This box is much safer for them because they are off the ground away from foxes. It is also warmer.

‘Now these cats are living the high life I wouldn’t be surprised if they returned next year too.

‘We don’t mind having them around but would rather they returned the box to the owls - who are the rightful homeowners.’

New home: This black and white cat has set up home in an owl box up an old oak tree - clambering up there and giving birth to four cute kittens.

Peek-a-boo: The newborn cats are honing their hunting skills and leaping between branches on the tree.

Seeya on Sunday, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
Wallace, Idaho