[Vision2020] For Cat Lovers . . .

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 15:08:07 PDT 2012

One of my favorite quotes is from Sartre's play "No Exit:"

"Hell is other people."
-------------------

GARCIN: This bronze. Yes, now's the moment; I'm looking at this thing on the
mantelpiece, and I understand that I'm in hell. I tell you,
everything's been thoughtout
beforehand. They knew I'd stand at the fireplace stroking this thing
of bronze, with all
those eyes intent on me. Devouring me. What? Only two of you? I
thought there were
more; many more. So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You
remember all we were
told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning
marl." Old wives'
tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS-OTHER PEOPLE!

It appears the full text of this play is readable at this website, from
which I pasted in the excerpt above:

http://archive.org/stream/NoExit/NoExit_djvu.txt
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett