[Vision2020] FW: Party of Strivers

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 07:51:29 PDT 2012

How can "Obama is just like all the other politicians" or "It doesn't
matter who is President since he has no control over the military" be
a reason for NOT voting for Obama rather than some other guy? You go
into a restaurant and there are two tables. The hostess asks you if
you want to sit in table A or table B. You say: "Well table A is just
like table B, so I don't want to sit there." Makes no sense.

Of course, if both tables are equally bad you might not want to sit at
either. But in this case eventually you'll be sitting at one of the
tables. They are both the same in one respect (evil foreign policy)
but one is considerably better in another respect (one has an evil
domestic policy as well).

I don't like the fact that my presidential choices are often choosing
between the lesser of two evils but given that this one is ...
Personally, I wouldn't be comforted by not voting, by saying "I'm not
the one who elected that guy," especially given that our country is
structured such that it doesn't matter who's in charge. There is
something wrong with the US foreign policy and like it or not we're
all implicated in that wrongness in some small way for letting it get
this bad.

The big problem with our political system is that we want someone who
is perfect, no spots on their record. But no one who is an eligible
presidential candidate -- over 45 (practically speaking) and rich --
is going to be perfect. What we get are folks who look perfect because
they've been careful their whole lives to be deceptive and seem good,
and honest, and socially conscious while all the time being selfish,
and egotistical, and power hungry. A lot like divorce lawyers, so our
presidency is hardly the only part of our society where this
phenomenon exists.