[Vision2020] Who can forget the unanswered question from . . .

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Mon Oct 15 15:19:48 PDT 2012

Ah yes,  the unanswered question.  If you remember, Nick then asked me if he could ask a follow up question and I said, no.  I would love to have a rough and tumble discussion where candidates and the audience could go back and forth.  It would be fun to moderate, but one needs more time than we have.  We have 12 candidates, 10 of whom will be sitting at the forum table. We have about one hour, 30 minutes of that period is taken up by candidate statements, and I want to get to all of them during the question session, and all of our members who want to enter the question and answer session, so I’m not going to change the format..one question, no follow up from the person who asked the question.

I have though asked each candidate to be specific about positions in his/her own party platform with which she/he does not agree.  Both platforms have positions which have produced plenty of discussion  over the past year.  Certainly candidates running for any elective position should have considered them.

For the Democrats their Platform stresses civil rights for all individuals including non-discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender identity/expression.  It also specifies “equal pay for equal work” , extension of collective bargaining rights including binding arbitration and repeal of “right to work” laws.  There is support for the “Affordable Care Act of 2010,”  and support for abortion, “policies to keep abortion, safe, legal and rare.”

For Republicans:  There is support for the privatization of social security, repeal of the 17th amendment to the US Constitution...direct election of Senators, the right of the Governor and the legislature to nullify existing and future federal laws.  There is support for the “closed primary,” which recently changed our state election laws.   There is support for tax credits for parents who send their children to private schools or who home school.

So there should be plenty for candidates to talk about and the audience to think about.

If you are planning to attend the forum this Friday, the cost of the lunch is $10.00.  Call 882-6069 for reservations, and do it ASAP.  It begins at 11:30 at the University Inn.

Sue H.