[Vision2020] Props don’t add up

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Oct 15 13:20:16 PDT 2012

Courtesy of today's (October 15, 2012) Spokesman-Review.

-------------------------------------

Props don’t add up

I must respond to the column by Sen. John Goedde regarding Propositions 1, 2 and 3.

He states that the laws, if revoked, will remove a provision that allows students the opportunity to take a year’s worth of college credit while still in high school. Students have had the option to take college classes under the dual enrollment program since the 1997 Postsecondary Enrollment Options Act. Students from our area have graduated with an AA degree days before receiving their high school diplomas.

He also says every high school student will have access to a computer while in school. Idaho schools already have computers available for student use scattered throughout classrooms, and in the school library. Therefore, Idaho students currently have access to computers while in school.

Finally, he states that teachers will be better compensated. For the last three years, Idaho has repeatedly cut educational funding. Since salaries make up 90 percent of educational expenses, the $38 million does not even make up for the cuts, and they unfairly reward only those teachers whose students excel on the standardized tests.

I can assure you that, as a retired professional educator who cares about children, I will be voting no on Propositions 1, 2, 3.

Lyndon Harriman

Post Falls

Seeya at the polls, Moscow, because . . .

"Moscow Cares"
http://www.MoscowCares.com

"We're a town of about 23,000 with 10,000 college students.  The college students are not very active in local elections (thank goodness!)."

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)