[Vision2020] Those Old Obama Debate Blues

Nicholas Gier ngier006 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 10:59:25 PDT 2012

Hi Tom,

Thanks for posting the perceptive view of the debate from Salon.com.  I was
asked by the Idaho State Journal to write up something on the debates.  It
is not as good as Salon (I had a 2 hour deadline!), but I do focus on
Romney's $5 trillion tax cut.  Here it is.

Romney won the debate tonight.  He was aggressive, fluent, never losing a
beat, but Obama was hesitant, halting and inarticulate. Obama appeared not
have much fight in him, and missed many chances to scores points against
his opponent.

It is good to remember that no candidate has lost an election because of a
debate performance since Nixon's 5 o' clock shadow.  Reagan lost debates
and so did Bush, Jr. but they both won their elections.

What's important for me is truth telling, and on this essential point of
character and trust Romney's pants are still on fire.  The current
Politifact scorecard is 304 true, mostly true, and half true statements
from the President and 116 false and mostly false with 6 pants on fire.
Romney has 102 true, mostly true, half true and 74 false and mostly false
with a record 16 pants on fire.  The percentage truth telling is
significant: 72 percent of the time for Obama vs.  48 percent for Romney.

Contrary to Romney’s charge, gas prices have not doubled during Obama’s
term.  Exactly four years ago the national average was $3.67 compared to
$3.72 today.

Obama was firm and effective about one thing about Romney’s tax plan.  If
the Bush tax cuts remain and if Romney reduces tax rates by 20 percent,
then that will indeed amount to $5 trillion in tax cuts over ten years.
This was the conclusion of an in-depth study issued by the Tax Policy
Center on August 1.  The pdf file can be found atwww.brookings.edu.

In the debate Romney said that other studies have debunked this analysis,
but Dylan Matthews of the *Washington Post* (9/27/12) has checked each of
those closely and concludes that they don’t save Romney’s plan from huge
deficits or compromise on tax reform.

Matthews gives a summary of Romney’s plan and the critique:

1.    “A 20 percent reduction in marginal personal income tax rates.

2.    Elimination of the estate tax.

3.    Elimination of the Alternative Minimum Tax.

4.    Enough base-broadening, through the elimination of tax expenditures,
to fully pay for policies 1 through 3.

5.    Preservation of incentives for saving and investment.

The Tax Policy Center authors then demonstrated that you can’t do 1-5
without raising taxes on people making under $200,000 a year. None of the
definition of the middle class, rely on inappropriate estimates of growth
caused by Romney’s plan, or else violate Romney’s promise to preserve the
savings and investment incentives.”

Conservative Harvard economist Martin Feldstein admits that Romney would
have to raise taxes on those whom Romney himself describes as “middle
class”—those making between $100-200,000!  He needs to raise the windows on
his private jet and see the real middle class!

Conservative economist Princeton economist Harvey Rosen assumes that
Romney’s election would boost growth by 3 percent, which would pay for his
tax cuts.  These predictions were made on the assumption of full
employment!  Obama promised to bring down unemployment to 7 percent and now
Romney assumes he will bring it down to 4 percent!  Another assumption of
Rosen’s plan is that the tax cuts would be neutralized early in  Romney’s
first term.   Matthews is incredulous: “Rosen assumes that the tax cuts
have been fully paid for first, and that’s part of why they do so much for
growth.”

Matt Jensen of the American Enterprise Institute argues that if Romney
eliminates tax exemptions for state and local bonds and interest insurance
savings, then the tax shift will hit the wealthy and save the middle class.

Curtis Dubay of the Heritage Foundation claims that the Tax Policy Center
authors have misunderstood the effects of Romney’s plan to eliminate the
estate tax.  This is one part of the analyses that I could not follow.

Matthews goes through each of the tax deductions and loopholes that Romney
says he will eliminate or close and finds serious problems.  Is Romney
really serious about eliminating tax deductions for charities? (For 2011
Romney would have not paid any tax at all if he had reported everything in
this category.) The disincentive would be huge and the loss to the arts,
colleges and universities, private medical work and social programs would
be devastating to these organizations.

The same Martin Feldstein who is now defending Romney’s plan criticized
Obama in 2009 for suggesting that charitable deductions be limited: “In
effect, the change would be a tax on the charities, reducing their receipts
by a dollar for every dollar of extra revenue the government collects. It
is hard to imagine a rationale for taxing schools, hospitals, medical
research budgets and arts organizations in this way.”

With regard to other major deductions Matthews has this to say:
“Eliminating the mortgage-interest deduction would upend the housing
sector, reducing demand to buy dramatically and shifting the sector toward
renting. Eliminating the employer health exemption could mark the beginning
of the end of the employer-based health system as we know it.”

Without more specifics and more honesty Romney’s tax plan as it now stands
would not reduce the deficits, will not grow the economy, and will not
create jobs.  Will a President Romney live to eat crow on his promise to
create 12 million jobs?  That would be more embarrassing than any of
Obama’s broken promises.