[Vision2020] Investigation into Summer Larsen, Declo Elementary 4th Grade Teacher

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 13:48:07 PST 2012

I agree that face painting of under-achievers besides is of very dubious
ethical correctness, and is not likely to lead to positive changes in
behavior, but to long lasting self-image harm.

There are some things about this incident that are especially disturbing
and in my opinion should not only include a professional standards review,
but a criminal investigation also.

1.  Permanent ink marks were used, and on the eyelids.  One slip and
serious damage to visual tissue could have been done.  The same for
removing permanent ink from the eyelids.  The application of the toxic
permanent ink could be construed as felony battery.  The whole incident
also appears to be child abuse both for the paintees and the painters.

While the offending ink appliers would argue that they had no criminal
intent because they were too young to understand the law, and were
following the guidance of an allegedly correct adult, the teacher being an
educated adult would could not make such an argument plausible without
claiming some kind of impairment.  The teacher is an accessory before,
during, and after the event.

2.  The offending teacher has so far offered no real apology, nor has she
admitted to egregiously wrongful behavior.

I suspect that once she lawyers up, a carefully crafted statement (mostly
by her lawyer) of sorrow and a "poor decision" will be forthcoming.

Since this incident has gained national attention, I hope that responsible
educators and psychologists will use this as a teachable moment.

w.

--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
art.deco.studios at gmail.com