[Vision2020] students and learning WAS: RE: [Spam 5.51] Re: This is Wrong on So Many Levels . . .

Robert Dickow dickow at turbonet.com
Sun Nov 18 16:54:46 PST 2012

A bit off topic: This classroom incident reminded me of my own childhood schoolroom humiliation. When I was in the 3rd or 4th grade, we had ‘music’ during the day. One day the teacher asked us all to close our eyes and imagine a ‘picture’ in our minds while we listened to Grieg’s ‘Morning Mood’ from Peer Gynt. Each student was called on in turn, describing their  ‘waterfalls,’ or pretty forest scenes. But when my turn came, I could offer nothing. I had no mental imagery. Nada. I was mortified. I felt like I was defective.  Nevertheless I was instantly enchanted by the music (and it was the first classical recording I ever requested for a Christmas present).  But I don’t blame the teacher; I doubt that she had any idea that I was having that reaction, nor did she intend this to happen. After all, most people easily form mental pictures while listening to music. I have NEVER cared to do so.  And although I became a composer with international prizes and performances, and numerous publications, the memory of the experience gives me shudders to this day.

Kids are delicate.

Bob Dickow, troublemaker