[Vision2020] Coal Trains Threaten Environment and Public Health

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 15:58:53 PST 2012

As University of Chicago climate scientist Raymond Pierrehumbert phrased
it, "...coal is still the 800-gigatonne gorilla at the carbon party."
regarding coals impact on anthropogenic climate change relative to other
traditional fossil fuels, excepting methane hydrates, which contain double
the carbon of all traditional fossil fuels combined: "Keystone XL: Game
over?"
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2011/11/keystone-xl-game-over/
Info on successful 2012 methane hydrate test well, as well as USGS info on
total total methane hydrate carbon:
http://energy.usgs.gov/Miscellaneous/Articles/tabid/98/ID/174/Successful-Test-of-Gas-Hydrate-Production-Test-Well-Ignik-Sikumi-on-Alaskas-North-Slope.aspx
http://marine.usgs.gov/fact-sheets/gas-hydrates/title.html
*"The worldwide amounts of carbon bound in gas hydrates is conservatively
estimated to total twice the amount of carbon to be found in all known
fossil fuels on Earth.*"

One very important issue regarding the proposed massive expansion of coal
shipments from the US west coast is the local damage in other nations that
selling our coal will inflict.  The mercury et. al. pollutants and the
respiratory illness from coal burning in nations that are even worse than
the US in pollution controls, means selling our coal is complicity in
inflicting damage to the health and environment of those nations, apart
from also contributing to global climate change.  Why be complicit in other
nations exposing their citizens to these harmful outcomes?  For the sake of
profit over damage to human lives?

To state "the environmental impact be 'from mines to ports" I suppose has
legal relevance for US regulatory bodies or courts, but it's obvious the
environmental impacts are from mines to ports to massive pollution in other
nations to centuries of destructive global climate change.

To argue Australia and Indonesia will just sell China the coal anyway even
if we don't, seems to me a specious moral argument, even if it has short
term economic relevance for the US economy. The US should be working day
and night to construct international agreements, for a global moratorium on
continued burning of coal. To not do so, and to allow massive international
sale of our gigantic coal reserves, the largest of any nation on Earth, is
to concede that we are not really serious about combating catastrophic
anthropogenic climate change, nor combating the damage to human lives and
the natural environment that coal inflicts apart from the climate change
inducing CO2 emissions.
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett

Good Morning Visionaries,