[Vision2020] Local Direct Entry Midwives and their Ignorent Clients

Rosemary Huskey donaldrose at cpcinternet.com
Thu Nov 8 11:46:25 PST 2012

Acceptance speeches you will never hear
<http://www.skepticalob.com/2012/11/acceptance-speeches-you-will-never-hear.
html>

<http://www.skepticalob.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/iStock_000014844371XS
mall.jpg>
http://www.skepticalob.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/iStock_000014844371XSm
all.jpg

1. At the Academy Awards

I'd like to thank the director for creating such a wonderful film, the
producer for offering me the greatest part of my career, my agent who never
stopped believing in me and my mom for refusing to have an epidural during
my birth.

 2. At a high school graduation:

I am proud and honored to be your valedictorian. Of course, no one achieves
this alone. I'd like to thank my teachers, my friends and most of all, my
mother who never let a bottle of formula touch my lips.

 3. At the Nobel Awards ceremony

I owe my career to my father who encouraged me to pursue my obsessive
interest in dinosaurs up to and through a degree in paleontology and to my
mother who trusted birth.

 4. At the Superbowl

I'm proud to be named MVP, but I owe it all to God, my teammates, my coach
and my mother who "wore" me on her chest until I was 3 years old.

 5. At the Olympics.

I dedicate my gold medal to my mom, who had painful sex for the rest of her
life because of the 4th degree vaginal tear she sustained at my birth after
refusing a C-section and pushing for 5 hours.

 Why won't you ever hear them? Because the "achievements" that loom so large
in the minds of mothers of newborns are entirely irrelevant to children.
They don't have any meaningful impact on children's lives and children don't
care about them.

In contrast, when the pursuit of those "achievements" goes wrong, the
results can be devastating. Here are a few more statements that will never
be made, at an awards ceremony or anywhere else.

 6. From an adult who sustained an Erb's palsy.

I really don't mind that my right arm is partially paralyzed and that I have
struggled my whole life to use my left arm instead, all because my mother
insisted on a homebirth midwife who had never handled a shoulder dystocia.

 7. From a woman who lost her identical second twin to an abruption at
birth.

Thanks, mom, for refusing to listen to the doctor who played the "dead baby
card" and for insisting on giving birth to twins at home.

 8. From a wheelchair bound man with severe cerebral palsy.

It's okay that you insisted on a vaginal breech birth instead of a C-section
and my head got stuck and I was deprived of oxygen. After all, it was far
more important for you to have a vaginal birth than for me to be able to
walk.

 9. From a woman profoundly brain injured when her mother's uterus ruptured
during an attempted VBAC.

You don't hear anything intelligible because she cannot speak.

 10. From someone who contracted group B strep sepsis because her mother put
garlic in her vagina to "treat it" instead of taking antibiotics.

Silence, because she's dead.

http://www.skepticalob.com/2012/11/acceptance-speeches-you-will-never-hear.h
tml?utm_source=rss
<http://www.skepticalob.com/2012/11/acceptance-speeches-you-will-never-hear.
html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=acceptance-speeches-you-will
-never-hear>
&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=acceptance-speeches-you-will-never-hear