[Vision2020] Picket Fence Apocalypse

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 08:18:44 PST 2012

[image: Campaign Stops - Strong Opinions on the 2012
Election]<http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/>
November 7, 2012, 10:23 pmPicket Fence ApocalypseBy CHARLES M.
BLOW<http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/author/charles-m-blow/>

No, you cannot have your country back. America is moving forward.

That's the message voters sent the Republican Party and its Tea Party wing
Tuesday night when they re-elected President Obama and strengthened the
Democrats' control of the Senate.

No amount of outside money or voter suppression or fear mongering or lying
- and there was a ton of each - was enough to blunt that message.

President Obama and his formidable campaign machine out-performed the
Republicans, holding together a winning coalition that is the face of
America's tomorrow: young voters, urban voters, racially and ethnically
diverse voters and women voters.

According to exit
polls<http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/results/president/exit-polls>,
Obama won 60 percent of the 18 to 29 year old vote and 52 percent of the
30-40 vote. He won 69 percent of the vote in big cities and 58 percent of
the vote in mid-sized cities. He won 93 percent of the black vote and more
than 70 percent of both the Asian vote and the Hispanic vote. He won over
half of the female vote. And he won 76 percent of the gay, lesbian and
bisexual vote.

Mitt Romney won the white vote, the male vote, the elderly vote, the small
cities vote and the high-income vote.

The base of Democratic support in this country is expanding. The Republican
base is shrinking, becoming more racially homogenous, more rural and older.

Reality made for a great rending of garments and gnashing of teeth among
conservatives.

On election night, Bill O'Reilly said
<http://www.mediaite.com/tv/bill-oreilly-white-establishment-is-now-the-minority-people-support-obama-because-they-want-things/>
:

It's a changing country, the demographics are changing. It's not a
traditional America anymore, and there are 50 percent of the voting public
who want stuff. They want things. And who is going to give them things?
President Obama.

O'Reilly continued: "The white establishment is now the minority."

Ann Coulter, who activates my gag
reflex<http://www.mediaite.com/online/ann-coulter-laments-to-ingraham-if-romney-cant-win-in-this-economy-its-over-there-is-no-hope/>whenever
I type her name, said Wednesday:

If Mitt Romney cannot win in this economy, then the tipping point has been
reached. We have more takers than makers and it's over. There is no hope.

Rush Limbaugh took to the air to say
that<http://www.mediaite.com/online/rush-limbaugh-i-went-to-bed-last-night-thinking-weve-lost-the-country/>"Mitt
Romney and his family would have been the essence of exactly what
this country needs" and that Romney "did offer a vision of traditional
America." Limbaugh went on:

I went to bed last night thinking we're outnumbered. I went to bed last
night thinking all this discussion we'd had about this election being the
election that will tell us whether or not we've lost the country. I went to
bed last night thinking we've lost the country.

You would think that the world came to an end Tuesday night. And depending
on your worldview, it might have. If your idea of America's power structure
is rooted in a 1950s or even a 1920s sensibility, here's an update: that
America is no more.

Republicans are trying to hold back a storm surge of demographic change
with a white picket fence. Good luck with that.

--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
art.deco.studios at gmail.com