[Vision2020] "Cultural Cognition", not Stupidity

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Wed May 30 08:49:40 PDT 2012

"The cultural cognition hypothesis holds that individuals are
motivated by a variety of psychological processes to form beliefs
about putatively dangerous activities that match their cultural
evaluations of them. Persons who subscribe to relatively
individualistic values, for example, tend to value commerce and
industry and are inclined to disbelieve that such activities pose
serious environmental risks. Persons who subscribe to relatively
egalitarian and communitarian values, in contrast, readily credit
claims of environmental risks, consistent with their moral suspicion
of commerce and industry as sources of inequality and symbols of
excessive self-seeking." (Wikipedia)

This is a perfectly general thesis that applies to all of us, not just
climate change deniers. The fact that this single study concentrates
on climate change deniers is irrelevant for it is just ONE study. At
Yale they have a whole research program devoted to exploration of the
thesis. So yes, Paul, the researchers likely DO think that the values
of AGW (anthropogenic global warming) proponents influence their
interpretation of empirical data. It is a perfectly general scientific
thesis.

Note that the thesis is about how values influence the interpretation
of scientific evidence: those who adopt individualistic values
disbelieve certain scientific findings and those that adopt
egalitarian/communitarian values tend to believe those same findings.
This is a psychological, or perhaps, sociological thesis having to do
with individual, or group, belief formation. It is independent of the
particular scientific findings. But that is the real issue, right?
Whether or not the empirical data suggests that human activities have
played a role in global warming. No one denies that there is global
warming. The debate is over whether or not human activities play a
role.

And on this issue, within the scientific community -- the community of
experts -- there is really not much of debate as long as one is
careful about how to frame the hypothesis. In Physics for Future
Presidents, Richard Muller quotes the findings of the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change:

“The observed widespread warming of the atmosphere and ocean, together
with ice mass loss, support the conclusion that it is extremely
unlikely that global climate change of the past fifty years can be
explained without external forcing, and very likely that it is not due
to known natural causes alone.” (273)

This is a very carefully formulated thesis. It is also endorsed by the
vast majority of members of the scientific community. It is not a
radical claim; it is really just the suggestion that human actions can
have global consequences.

If we take all of this into consideration, what are we left with? On
the one hand, there is reason to think that few of us develop beliefs
solely on the basis of scientific evidence and good reason to think
that in most cases values influence what we believe. In other words,
people are not fully rational when it comes to belief formation.
That's exactly why science is so important. I'm not a scientist but I
know enough about it to know that it is a myth to think that science
is value-neutral, so there is no reason to think that scientists are
immune to the phenomenon of cultural cognition. Nonetheless, science
is our best bet when it comes to limiting the impact of values and
other non-rational factors on our claims about the world. In other
words, given that there are non-rational factors that influence
individual and social beliefs, the rational thing to do would be to
accept the findings of scientists, who do as much as is humanly
possible to limit those factors. Thus, in general, people should
accept the consensus views of scientists when it comes to empirical
claims about the world. In this case, the most rational thing to do is
to adopt the thesis of AGW.