[Vision2020] Beating dead horses

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue May 29 18:11:31 PDT 2012

Speaking of being anti-war, Mr. K. - - -

I was one of those SDSers (Students for a Democratic Society), of which you refer, and an active member of VIVA (Voices in Vital America) in Los Angeles back in "the days" (1967, 1968, 1969).  I was not only anti-war, but anti-military . . . who (I told this to the Viz a while back) went on assistance campaigns with VIVA to such rehab centers as Synanon (fantastic a-cappella groups) and sit-ins at MacArthur Park (more like parties than a protests).

How did a kid that was radically anti-war and anti-military end up in in the Army in Vietnam in late '69?  Suffice it to say that it was due to my father's encouragement, my father who eagerly signed the permission slip two months before my 18th birthday.

My attitude remained constant until I returned to the states in March '73, after serving six months in Vietnam and three years in Bamberg, Germany (an assignment I opted for immediately following RVN).  It's no wonder I flunked out of Court Reporter School (CRS) at Newport Naval Base (the only military installation, at the time, that offered CRS), my first stateside assignment in almost four years.  I PARTIED (and met my soul mate) in Newport and Middletown, RI.

In Bamberg, I was assigned to 614th Maintenance Company, which inhabited its own post, Muna Kaserne; which was totally cool!  It was not uncommon for parties to start immediately after work on Friday, go downtown Bamberg, return to the barracks Saturday morning, and continue partying until Sunday night.

Jus' to let the compound know . . . we would announce that the "bar is open" at headquarters platoon barracks, we would crank up the speakers and play (what became known as "Party Call") . . .

"War Pigs" by Black Sabbath
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Songs/War_Pigs.mp3

"Generals gathered in their masses
Just like witches at black masses
Evil minds that plot destruction
Sorcerers of death's construction
In the fields the bodies burning
As the war machine keeps turning
Death and hatred to mankind
Poisoning their brainwashed minds
Oh lord yeah!

Politicians hide themselves away
They only started the war
Why should they go out to fight?
They leave that role to the poor
[ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsty.com/black-sabbath-war-pigs-lyrics.html ]
Time will tell on their power minds
Making war just for fun
Treating people just like pawns in chess
Wait 'til their judgement day comes
Yeah!

Now in darkness world stops turning
Ashes where the bodies burning
No more war pigs have the power
Hand of God has struck the hour
Day of judgement, God is calling
On their knees the war pig's crawling
Begging mercy for their sins
Satan laughing spreads his wings
Oh lord yeah!"

So, you see, Mr. K. . .

To some people, being anti-war is more than a simple "feel good" reference.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"If not us, who?
If not now, when?"

- Unknown