[Vision2020] Afghan official: 8 civilians killed in airstrike

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Sun May 27 00:34:46 PDT 2012

Given the recent discussions, this story is tragically timely.  I don't
agree with all the comments and/or conclusions reached by some, but I do
absolutely agree that the American people have been sold a bill of goods --
something far too many swallowed hook, line, and sinker -- with respect to
the phony claims that these military actions abroad and the loss of civil
liberties at home are necessary for security, and that gross military
spending -- at the expense of cuts to education, health care spending,
Social Security, and programs that help our citizens in need -- is justified
for the false sense of security.  Pure hogwash.

Saundra
_____

Associated Press
May. 27, 2012 2:40 AM ET
Afghan official: 8 civilians killed in airstrike

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) - Afghan authorities say an airstrike by the
U.S.-led NATO coalition has killed eight members of a family in eastern
Afghanistan.

The coalition says it is aware of the allegation and is looking into what
happened late Saturday in Paktia province.

Provincial spokesman Rohullah Samon said Sunday that a man, woman and their
six children were killed in a coalition airstrike 8 p.m. in Suri Khail
village of Gurda Saria district.

Actions of the Taliban kill more civilians than foreign forces, but the
deaths of citizens caught in the crossfire of the decade-long war continue
to be an irritant in President Hamid Karzai's relationship with his
international partners.