[Vision2020] Are the police tracking your calls?

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Thu May 24 18:00:34 PDT 2012

Security, not just against police surveillance but against all forms of
intrusion, is best served by a layered defense.  The first layer is the
one you suggest - if you don't want it compromised, don't put it out
there.  There are other steps that can be taken, such as:

- don't open attachments from strangers
- don't run an email client that automatically runs attachments
- don't tell your email client to run an attachment manually
- keep up on your updates  for your OS, email client, browser, flash,
and java
- use a browser that doesn't run any attachments by default
- turn off javascript or use something like NoScript to enable only the
sites you trust
- use an adblocker to keep advertisers from tracking you through image
requests and to keep malware ads from doing harm
- disable third-party cookies, or use an extension to manage them for you
- use something like FlashBlock to keep flash advertisements from trying
to track you
- use a private VPN
- use an OS like linux that isn't hacked as often
- probably lots of others I'm forgetting at the moment

I think of these things like common street smarts, but for the net.  You
shouldn't click on an attachment any more than you should look that mean
looking dude in the eye when you walk past him.  As a bonus, if you do
these things you won't see most advertisements that are trying to
distract you, and your browsing experience will be twice as fast because
of all the javascript and images you are not downloading.  Just remember
to donate to your favorite websites to make up for the loss of ad
revenue, should you feel so inclined.

Paul