[Vision2020] [corrected] Hmmm . . .

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Thu May 24 13:53:50 PDT 2012

If Mr. Hansen supports this law, then he would also be required after fleeing his marijuana smoking friend's house, to also call the police on him leading to his arrest and the sighting of every adult also at the house for frequenting a known place of illegal drug use.

I personally would never call the police for a victimless misdemeanor or infraction. I believe I am responsible for my own actions not everyone else. My moral obligation to my own conscious and God is not take any action against someone if that action would result in a greater evil. To me, to have a person's life destroyed because they light up a joint in their own home, which is what the law enforced at this time would do, is more destructive than helpful, so I would not do it. If I felt compelled to call the police on someone, and I felt I would not be placed in jeopardy for it, I would tell the person I did, or was going to.

Taking the stand, "I support it because it is the law of the land" is immoral and ethically unacceptable to me. A law must be able to stand with good reason and intent to do good on its own, not just because it is a law. Slavery was law, I would not support it. Harboring a Jew was illegal, I would do it. Being Gay was illegal, I did not follow it.

There are higher laws than man's laws. And those laws must be followed over them. Love thy neighbor, is the highest law of all, and destroying a person, their family, and career, because they had a joint, to me, is in violation of that law.

Donovan J. Arnold