[Vision2020] Annual Deaths Caused By . . .

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Mon May 21 07:54:55 PDT 2012

Marijuana a problem?  Get real!  See article just below.

The emergence of prescription drug abuse as our country's number one drug
problem highlights the need for a complete and competent investigation of
Oxycodone Gate.

We are a small community.  Had an immediate referral to the MPD been made
instead of advice been given to remove (read: ditch and destroy) evidence,
there might have been a chance to get a lever into at least some aspect of
the illicit use of prescription drug problem locally.

Incidentally, the following item appeared in the *Daily News* public
records Saturday:

*LATAH COUNTY SHERIFF*

*Thursday*

12:31 p.m. - Prescription drugs, including hydrocodone, were reported
missing from a residence on the 1000 block of Juliene Way in Moscow.

I was very disappointed to find out that the evidence gained by the NPCSD
is being turned over to William "Whitewash" Thompson for the consideration
of charges -- remember the Sitler case, e,g. -- instead of the Nez Perce
County PA.

I hope that both the investigation and subsequent followup are both a
serious, honest, and complete endeavor, and not a whitewash to save two
good old boy bumblers at the expense of an opportunity to gain insight into
prescription drug abuse in our community, and perhaps a chance to look into
the black market activity for prescription drugs locally and the crime
problems and substitution problems the issue raises.

w.
 DEA: Prescription Drug Abuse Is Top Drug Problem

By Devin Browne <http://www.fronterasdesk.org/staff/devin-browne/>
  <http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php>

Thursday, October 20, 2011
  Audio clip Prescription Drug Abuse Problem

Download audio clip<http://kpbs.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/audio/2011/10/20/pres_drugs_fronteras.mp3>

PHOENIX — Prescription drug
abuse<http://www.nida.nih.gov/tib/prescription.html>is the fastest
growing segment of illegal drug use in the United States. In
fact, more Americans abuse prescription drugs than the number of people who
use cocaine, methamphetamine, and heroin combined.

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention calls this an
epidemic<http://www.cdc.gov/about/grand-rounds/archives/2011/01-February.htm>.
Experts at Wednesday's Prescription Drug Abuse
Summit<http://www.justice.gov/usao/nyw/press/press_releases/DrugAbuseSummit.pdf>call
it a crisis.

"We survey law enforcement agencies, and we ask them what their number one
drug problem is in their area," said Douglas Coleman, a special agent with
the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA
<http://www.justice.gov/dea/>).*"At this point, prescription drug
abuse is rapidly increasing throughout
the country as the number one drug problem."*

The numbers are most startling among teenagers. A recent survey found one
in five teens reported they have abused prescription drugs to get high. One
in seven reported they did so in the past 12 months.

"Prescription drugs, depending on what they are, can be much more expensive
than illicit drugs," Acting U.S.
Attorney<http://www.justice.gov/usao/az/index.html>Ann Scheel said.
"So teenagers - they will start using prescription drugs
and then they can't afford them and so they will go into illicit drugs."

Coleman said the Obama administration's primary target is not the consumer,
but the seller.

"For us, the possession of these drugs is not the issue," he said. "It's
the transfer and the distribution of these drugs to other people and other
sources that (the DEA) becomes involved."

He went on: "From a legal perspective, there is no difference than a heroin
dealer and a doctor if they are violating the law and prescribing outside
the course of normal medical practice. They're charged with the same crime
as a street heroin dealer."

Last year, federal agents arrested Dr. Angelo
Chirban<http://azmd.gov/GLSuiteWeb/Repository/0/0/2/3/9331218a-8988-4acf-aca2-84f6aa764493.pdf>,
of Paradise Valley, and accused him of running what a nurse in his office
called a "prescription mill." The federal government seized more than $3
million dollars in currency, coins, and assorted silver bullion bars, plus
one '99 Bentley - all alleged to be proceeds from trafficking in pain
medication.

--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
art.deco.studios at gmail.com