[Vision2020] The newest, and by far the worst scam in town

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Tue May 15 08:19:43 PDT 2012

Rosemary,

There are so many things to say about this kind of so-called "therapeutic"
"counseling" endeavor that one doesn't know where to start.  But just to
keep a discussion going, here's a couple.

Many years ago, almost a geological era in my life, a co-worker, who was a
a diligent, likeable, quite normal person, started having episodes of outre
behavior.  As the episodes gained more frequency, some of us suggested that
she see a mental health professional.  The only person she listened to was
a salesman who was an avid "One Way" advocate.  (One Way was/is? a fanatic
Christian group who held that the only way to live and the only path to
redemption/eternal life/etc was their very narrow and crackpot way.)

The co-worker was talked into meeting with a religious counselor from One
Way who told her that she was having these problems because her
relationship with God was all wrong -- she had lost her way.  Despite
numerous "counseling sessions" -- more than usual, I suspect because she
was a very, very attractive woman -- she became more and more depressed,
her episodes increased in frequency and strangeness.  One day at lunch with
several of us she became unconscious.  A LA City ambulance arrived, we
briefed the attendants on her recent history who then briefed the attending
ER physician.

The short story:  she was diagnosed with a brain tumor.  She was
transferred to the neurological center on the UCLA campus, had a successful
operation, and after many months of recovery and therapy was able to return
to work, much to our delight.

The moral:  mental health problems can have purely organic causes or even
partial organic causes.  Even well trained professionals can miss the signs
at the beginning.  However, correctly schooled and certified mental health
professionals are trained to always consider the possibility of some
underlying organic causes, and there are many.  A few hours of Bible-based
training can hardly prepare anyone to discern if organic causes may be at
work even for simple, apparently-less-serious mental health problems.
Besides the tragedy to the counseled at risk here, the enormous financial
liability of the so-call "counselors" in case where things go radically
wrong ought be a detriment -- unfortunately, it seldom is.

Therapeutic psychology/psychiatry is not an exact science, and it is a
relatively young science.  Even with years of training, conscientious,
well-intentioned therapists can make mistakes.

Amateur, snake oil "counselors" not only lack the depth and kind of
knowledge needed to diagnose and to attempt to treat the thousands of kinds
of known mental health problems, they naively rely on doctrines/beliefs
which are in fact unverifiable, and based purely on superstitious
mythology.  The result of such counseling can be tragic sometimes resulting
in the suicide of the counseled.   Many of such Bible-based therapies
include the infliction and amplification of  guilt and conflict in the
counseled.

As a nonbeliever who has observed many incredible, irrational, and
no-supporting-evidence-for beliefs of credulous believers, it doesn't
surprise me that some people think that a few hours of training at a very
low cost could enable them to solve problems that billions of hours of
research and training still do not grapple with successfully in many
cases.  Such a belief is on a par with that of believing that the righteous
will be sucked up through space in a whirlwind to heaven and eternal life
at the so-called Rapture (See the letter to editor from Larry Kirkland in
yesterday's *Daily News*.)

A fool and her/his money are soon parted.  In the case of losing money in a
shell game at a carnival, only money and a little pride is lost.  In the
case of Bible-based counseling for mental health problems, the risk of just
losing a little money and pride is small compared to the very real dangers
of causing egregious harm to the counseled and even loss of life.  A little
Googling can confirm this -- an example: the the Bible-based "counseling"
used to attempt to change a person's sexual orientation.

There is no magic elixirs for mental health problems.  They are many times
difficult to diagnose and to successfully treat.  Even with the best of
therapists, successful treatment is not guaranteed in many cases.

There are several other issues with Bible-based "therapeutic counseling",
among them the legality of practicing and/or training Bible-based
"therapeutic counseling"; the very real danger that information given by
the counseled during a "counseling" session with such a counselor will be
used against them in some very devious ways to forward the ends of the
counselors and their religious organizations, one of which is to suck more
money out of the counseled and to create a dangerous, parasitic dependency
not unlike drug addiction.

w.

--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)