[Vision2020] 96 Responses to "Yamalian yawns": "A Perfect Epistemic Bubble"

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun May 13 16:45:04 PDT 2012

Here's more information on this topic:
http://www.bishop-hill.net/blog/2012/5/9/the-yamal-deception.html

My question is, why did Steve McIntyre face so many roadblocks from
Briffa, the journal Science, and the University of East Anglia?  It took
a request to the journal Royal Society B (which has a strict data
publishing requirement that Briffa was abusing) to get Briffa to even
give up a portion of the data.  Of course, there was no meta data and it
took months, and they simply posted it on a website without even the
courtesy of notifying McIntyre, but in the end they did publish it.

How is anyone supposed to verify his published conclusions if they can't
get access to his data?  In a perfect world, someone would grab their
own list of bristlecone pines and do their own measurements of tree
rings, but in reality there are only so many specimens that have been
found that span the required period.  Publishing their data allows for
others to look at their choice of data used, their methods of throwing
out outliers, and the statistical methods they used.

Climate scientists should be welcoming scientific scrutiny of their
papers.  Why?  Because if it stands up to such scrutiny then there is a
certain level of confidence in their conclusions.  That's how science
works.   Or that's how it works when it hasn't been politicized.

Paul