[Vision2020] Game Over for the Climate

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat May 12 20:07:04 PDT 2012

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but here is what I have always been taught:

We have measurements of the physical world, which are observations.
These measurements have a given accuracy, meaning that we can in effect
only trust them so far.  A thermometer that is accurate to +-1 degree F
cannot be used to say anything about the temperature in terms of tenths
of a degree.  You might as well treat it as a thick line 2 degrees in
thickness.

It's true that there is a calibration involved.  We've determined that
if the mercury rises this much it indicates one degree.  Instruments on
satellites give various raw numbers that we run through an algorithm of
some sort that converts them to units we can deal with that also involve
a calibration of some sort.  We should be able to reverse this process,
however.  Given this reading that was calibrated in this way we should
be able to recreate what the underlying sensor reading was.

These are facts.  They may be highly precise and useful or they may be
very imprecise and only useful as a general guide.

We also have individual hypotheses that are guesses about how the world
works.  One such guess might be that based on our current theories of
heat transfer, a mass of air of this size at this temperature should
lose it's heat at this rate when placed in contact with a mass of air of
this size at a lower temperature.  I don't know what all the individual
hypotheses are that are used in climate science, I just made that one up
as an example.

What makes hypotheses useful is their predictive ability.  The
hypothesis I just gave can be tested, and we can see if (all other
things being accounted for) a mass of air does drop in temperature the
predicted amount (within the limits of the accuracy of the
instrumentation) then we have a prediction that was successful.  This
hypothesis can then be trusted to some degree to be useful when we need
to know what the rate of heat transfer will be between two air masses
with some prescribed limitations.

A climate model is an attempt to take a crapton (that's a technical
term) of hypotheses like I just described and work them into one set of
predictions.  Like all other hypotheses, though, their predictions have
to be compared to measurements within a given level of accuracy.

To put it another way, a climate model that suggests something will
happen is no more useful than trying to suggest that a man wearing
leather armor can survive when taking an arrow fired from a given
distance by trying it out in Skyrim or World of Warcraft, unless that
climate model has been shown to be predictive in some way.  This is true
independent of whether or not this is a pain in the ass for climate
scientists.

I wish climate scientists would be more upfront with their error bars
and limits of precision.  I can't imagine that your average thermometer
in use in the late 1800s was accurate to more than a degree C or so, yet
they are used to show that we have had a 0.8C rise in temperature since
that time period.

This is why there can be different analyses of the same sets of facts.
The statement that the global average surface temperature has increased
over the last century is an analysis of the temperature record, and is
not a fact in and of itself.  The statistical techniques used may or may
not be valid for the type of data in the data set, accuracy may or may
not have been taken into account correctly, and conclusions may or may
not have been derived from this analysis correctly.

I'm not really saying that is really in doubt, just commenting on how
analysis of the data is a different beast than the data itself.

Although I do wonder if climate scientists aren't trying to wring more
precision out of their analyses than the data actually can give.  I can
understand their motivation, there is no going back in time and making
new measurements.  It does remind me of one of my favorite quotes, which
google claims can be attributed to the economist Ronald Coase: "If you
torture the data long enough, it will confess."

I am interested in reading Paul Edwards book; I've added it to my
reading list.

Paul

On 05/12/2012 01:43 PM, Ted Moffett wrote:
> [...]
>>> the papers on the subject first came out in Nature. A good
>>> introduction to the work can be found in this National Research Council
>>> report<http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=12877>  on Climate
>>> Stabilization targets, of which I was a co-author. Here’s all you ever
>>> really need to know about CO2 emissions and climate:
>>>
>>>     - The peak warming is linearly proportional to the cumulative carbon
>>>     emitted
>>>     - It doesn’t matter much how rapidly the carbon is emitted
>>>     - The warming you get when you stop emitting carbon is what you are
>>>     stuck with for the next thousand years
>>>     - The climate recovers only slightly over the next ten thousand years
>>>     - At the mid-range of IPCC climate sensitivity, a trillion tonnes
>>>     cumulative carbon gives you about 2C global mean warming above the
>>>     pre-industrial temperature.
>>>
>>> This graph gives you an idea of what the Anthropocene climate looks like
>>> as a function of how much carbon we emit before giving up the fossil fuel
>>> habit, without even taking into account the possibility of carbon cycle
>>> feedbacks leading to a release of stored terrestrial carbon.  The graph
>>> isfrom the NRC report, and is based on simulations with the U. of
>>> Victoria
>>> climate/carbon model tuned to yield the mid-range IPCC climate
>>> sensitivity.
>>> Assuming a 50-50 chance that climate sensitivity is at or below this
>>> value,
>>> we thus have a 50-50 chance of holding warming below 2C if cumulative
>>> emissions are held to a trillion tonnes. Including deforestation, we have
>>> already emitted about half that, so our whole future allowance is another
>>> 500 gigatonnes.
>>>
>>> Proved reserves of conventional oil add up to 139 gigatonnes C (based on
>>> data here<http://www.eia.gov/emeu/international/reserves.html>  and the
>>> conversion factor in Table 6 here
>>> <http://cdiac.ornl.gov/pns/convert.html>,
>>> assuming an average crude oil density of 850 kg per cubic meter). To be
>>> specific, that’s 1200 billion barrels times .16 cubic meters per barrel
>>> times .85 metric tonnes per cubic meter crude times .85 tonnes carbon per
>>> tonne crude. (Some other estimates, e.g. Nehring
>>> (2009)<http://rstb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/364/1532/3067.abstract>,
>>> put the amount of ultimately recoverable oil in known reserves about 50%
>>> higher). To the carbon in conventional petroleum reserves you can add
>>> about
>>> 100 gigatonnes C from proved natural gas reserves, based on the same
>>> sources as I used for oil. If one assumes that these two reserves are so
>>> valuable and easily accessible that it’s inevitable they will get burned,
>>> that leaves only 261 gigatonnes from all other fossil fuel sources. How
>>> does that limit stack up against what’s in the Athabasca oil sands
>>> deposit?
>>>
>>> The geological literature generally puts the amount of bitumen in-place
>>> 1.7 trillion barrels (e.g. see the numbers and references quoted
>>> here<http://aapgbull.geoscienceworld.org/cgi/content/abstract/93/2/203>).
>>> That oil in-place is heavy oil, with a density close to a metric tonne
>>> per
>>> cubic meter, so the associated carbon adds up to about 230 gigatonnes —
>>> essentially enough to close the “game over” gap. But oil-in-place is not
>>> the same as economically recoverable oil. That’s a moving target, as oil
>>> prices, production prices and technology evolve. At present, it is
>>> generally figured that only 10% of the oil-in-place is economically
>>> recoverable. However, continued development of in-situ production methods
>>> could bump up economically recoverable reserves considerably. For example
>>> this
>>> working
>>> paper<http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2011/11/keystone-xl-game-over/www.npc.org/Study_Topic_Papers/22-TTG-Heavy-Oil.pdf>(pdf)