[Vision2020] Pre-Primary Newsletter

Rep. Tom Trail ttrail at moscow.com
Thu May 10 16:18:51 PDT 2012

PRE-PRIMARY
NEWSLETTER
 Constituents
- Last year the U.S. Postal Service announced that they were in the
process of considering the closing of thousands of small rural post
offices.  Here in Latah County
there was the possibility that the Bovill, Harvard, and Viola post offices
would be closed.   I
attended a meeting at the Harvard Community Center where about 75 local
citizens met with three officials from the Seattle post office to discuss
the issue.  Frankly, at the end
of the meeting, most local citizens thought they were going to lose the
local post office.
We
had similar discussions in Bovill as well.   Your local legislators worked
with Sen. Mike Crapo's office to express our concerns.    Sen. Crapo co-sponsored
a bill in the Senate which would have forced the U.S. Postal Service to
stop the closure of rural post offices.   I've been in conversation
with Sen. Crapo's office the past few days, and the announcement came out
yesterday that the U.S. Postal Service will not close rural post offices.
 The cuts will be in the number
of hours the rural post offices are open and some cuts in other
services.

This is excellent news for our rural citizens.    The local post office
in our small rural towns often serves as the only center of communications
and community activity in the area.  Many of the local citizens are
Seniors, low income, and disabled.   The same type of protests
from local citizens such as I observed in Harvard occurred country
wide.   I especially want
to thank Sen. Crapo for his leadership in helping our rural
citizens.
There
have been added concerns about the protection of Human Rights here in
Idaho.    The day
after I got back from the legislative session the first piece of mail I
picked up was a letter from the KKK.   It was a letter and
recruitment ad apparently sent out by the KKK recruiter in Montana.   To date about nine
legislators received the letter.    Rep. Cherie
Buckner-Webb, the only African-American in the Idaho also received the KKK
letter.    She
remembers that when she was nine years old that the KKK burned a cross in
her family's front yard in the north end of Boise.   We also have constitutional
sheriff candidates running for office in Boundary and Bonner County who
proudly proclaim their membership in the Aryan Nation and the KKK.    The candidate in Bonner
County holds a month meeting with the local Klan members and his family
and burns a cross in his back yard.   These are danger signals that
we call need to be aware of.    Recently 18
"hate" websites in Idaho were identified.   We need to be constantly
vigilant to protect the civil and human rights of our
citizenry.
The
Idaho Primary is coming up on May 15th so please remember to vote.

I’d
appreciate hearing from you with your comments, etc.
My
e mail is ttrail at house.idaho.gov or
thomasftrail at gmail.com.
Rep.