[Vision2020] Oxycodene Con't

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Wed May 9 12:15:38 PDT 2012

Below is a copy of further developments from today's *LMT*.

Quote:

MOSCOW - They denied a cover-up. They refused to call it a screw-up, but
Moscow Fire Chief Ed Button and Capt. Dan Carscallen said Tuesday they
should have taken a different tack.

"I should have called the police," Button said.

"That's where I'm at, too," said Carscallen, who is also a Moscow city
councilor. "Otherwise, I'm not commenting because I don't want to throw
people under the bus. I guess I'm big enough to take the bus running over
me."
 I'm a little confused here,  They should have called the MPD instead of
ordering the evidence to be removed.  It wasn't  a coverup or screw-up,
though.  Huh?  Sounds like something out of Orwell's *1984* -- doublespeak.

Some progress has been made.  An admittance that the MPD should have been
called, given the allegations of illegal narcotic possession and use by an
emergency responder.

However, Carscalen then reveals where he still is at"

"It's just that somebody didn't get what she wanted," Carscallen said. "So
she's dragging everybody else through the mud. It's unfortunate. I care for
the gal, but she's making it hard."

How does that fit with:

"That's where I'm at, too," said Carscallen, who is also a Moscow city
councilor. *"Otherwise, I'm not commenting* because I don't want to throw
people under the bus..."

More doublespeak and hypocrisy.  It appears that neither Carscalen or
Button have yet to understand why many are astounded, disgusted, and angry
at their malfeasance, CYA actions. and blame, punish, and smear the
complainants tactics.

*It's true that the complainants did not get what they wanted*.  They
expected, quite reasonably, Carscalen and Button would act legally and
professionally by immediately reporting to the MPD the allegations so that
they could be promptly investigated, and as a result of that investigation
corrective and further actions would be taken.  This was not an allegation
of a littering offense; it was the allegation of illegal narcotics
possession and use by a paid, resident emergency responder.  Instead of
handling the matter legally and professionally, Button and Carscalen
conspired to cause the removal and probable destruction of the evidence,
and then proceeded to bully, intimidate, and vilify the complainants, who
whatever their motives, raised a serious issue of public safety, public
health, and possible criminal behavior.

I appreciate the time that Carscalen dedicates to being an EMT.  It is not
a pleasant undertaking to show up at scenes of chaos and carnage.  Few of
us could do it.

That said, I am wondering along with others, that how Button's and
Carscalen's immediate response to this matter reflects on their ability to
respond to emergency situations that may call for rapid clear thinking and
decisive actions.

Instead of "We ought to have called the MPD," what we need to hear from
City Councilperson Carscalen is a tenacious call for an immediate,
thorough, and honest investigation of all the questions raised by this
incident.  That would at least demonstrate that he fully understands the
seriousness of the matter, that he has abandoned the CYA and punish the
whistle blowers mode, and that he is anxious for his constituents to know
the truth, and to be assured once the truth is out, that comprehensive
corrective actions will be taken including whatever personnel. policy, and
procedural changes are indicated.  Such a call would also remove the miasma
of the cowardly CYA and blame the complainants operation.  It would show
Carscalen as a person of courage and conviction which all of us hope he is.

w.

______________________________
Moscow fire chief admits he 'should have called the police'

* By David Johnson, of the Tribune | Posted: Wednesday, May 9, 2012 12:00
am *

MOSCOW - They denied a cover-up. They refused to call it a screw-up, but
Moscow Fire Chief Ed Button and Capt. Dan Carscallen said Tuesday they
should have taken a different tack.

"I should have called the police," Button said.

"That's where I'm at, too," said Carscallen, who is also a Moscow city
councilor. "Otherwise, I'm not commenting because I don't want to throw
people under the bus. I guess I'm big enough to take the bus running over
me."

The two reacted to allegations that they failed to respond properly after
being alerted that suspected illegal drugs and paraphernalia had been found
at Fire Station 1 in mid-February.

Volunteer firefighters Bonnie Shambaugh and Emily Kimberling filed
complaints with Moscow's human resources director saying suspected drugs
and paraphernalia were found in another firefighter's desk. Shambaugh's
complaint alleges that Carscallen, with Button's approval, said to get rid
of the substance "like a bottle of whiskey."

Button said the incident has a political edge to it, in that the
department, made up of nearly 100 volunteers and 51/2 paid administrative
positions, is like any other bureaucracy.

"It's unfortunate that she felt she needed to take the tact she has,"
Button said of Shambaugh's decision to go outside the department.

"It's just that somebody didn't get what she wanted," Carscallen said. "So
she's dragging everybody else through the mud. It's unfortunate. I care for
the gal, but she's making it hard."

The firefighter suspected of having the drugs underwent a drug test the
following morning and came up clean, Button said. He said there is a small
photograph apparently taken with a cellphone of the alleged illegal
substance. But little or no other physical evidence remains, he said.

The complaint alleges the suspect firefighter said the substance was
oxycodone. No charges have been filed and as of Tuesday, no criminal
investigations had been reported by local authorities.

As far as he's concerned, Button said, the matter is over, except for the
publicity fallout. "It's on the Internet. It's on all the fire department
websites," he said. "It's on the blogs. The Chicago Tribune picked it up.
It's all over."

The Moscow Volunteer Fire Department is a nonprofit corporation that
contracts with the city of Moscow. The Moscow Rural Fire Department is a
separate entity, but also has Button as chief. The two departments, Button
said, work together seamlessly.

Button said he was called early in the morning on Feb. 14 by Carscallen
about the alleged illegal substance. His initial reaction. Button said, was
to get it out of the station. He said he didn't really know if it was a
hazardous substance or possibly an explosive.

In retrospect, Button said he should have notified the police immediately.
And that's what will be done in the future. He said that because of the
department's volunteer nature, he's assumed an almost "parental" posture
when dealing with in-house politics and other issues. But no more.

"It will have to be from this point on, as each event happens, we'll just
have to tighten up," he said, "take out personalities or feelings and just
go purely by the book."

The incident, while casting the department in a bad public light, should
not undercut the department's value to the community, Button said. "There's
always politics. But right now, the fire department is as healthy as its
ever been and we have more people involved than ever before."

---

*Johnson may be contacted at*

djohnson at lmtribune.com or (208) 883-0564.
 Ghostery has found the following on this page:Google Adsense

--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
art.deco.studios at gmail.com