[Vision2020] Canadian province of Ontario legalizes brothels in landmark ruling

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 14:55:15 PDT 2012

*Canadian province of Ontario legalizes brothels in landmark ruling*

 - CNN.com
By Paula Newton, CNN
2012-03-26T16:32:40Z
 CNN.com

Ottawa (CNN) -- Ontario's top court has legalized brothels, saying Canadian
prostitution laws unfairly discriminate against prostitutes and their
ability to work in safe environments.

A panel of five judges wrote that the law banning common bawdy houses "is
grossly disproportionate" if all it aims to do is keep public order in a
neighborhood and maintain public health standards.

"The record is clear that the safest way to sell sex is for a prostitute to
work indoors, in a location under her control," the judges wrote in a much
anticipated ruling.

"The impact on those put at risk by the legislation is extreme," the judges
added.

However, the court stopped short of allowing prostitutes to openly solicit
customers on the streets. The court ruled that prohibiting solicitation
remains a "a reasonable limit on the right to freedom of expression."

"It is so nice to see that we are now brought out into society. I feel a
debutante at a ball. We're almost full citizens so this is wonderful," said
Valerie Scott, a former prostitute.

Supporters of the ruling said the laws governing prostitution in Canada
would now have to change.

"Any form of criminalization pushes the industry underground and gives
opportunities to predators. You can see it through the world," said Nikki
Thomas, executive director of Sex Professionals of Canada.

--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
art.deco.studios at gmail.com