[Vision2020] 350.org: Petition for Congress to End to Fossil Fuel Subsidies.

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 17 16:59:51 PDT 2012

Paul,

I disagree with your assessment. Here's why: If oil prices were to skyrocket to above $12 a gallon oil companies would lose money because customers would buy less. They produce (supply) gas and sell it at a price that creates the greatest amount of dollars of profit. If an oil company tripled in price two things would happen. First, people would cut their consumption back by as much. Second, other alternative sources would appear on the market as more affordable and quickly replace oil companies  share of the energy market. In addition, the economy would weaken and their future stake in the American Economy would fall, losing them 100s of billions.

I understand the Europeans pay much more a gallon (Liter) of gas. However, their cars get far better mileage, and much of the increase is the result of additional taxes which result in offsetting other consumer costs like health care and education.

It is not the cost of gas that bothers me as much as it is that I have no clue from day to day, month to month, year to year what the price is going to be. That makes it hard for me to budget when gas can be anywhere from $3 to $5 a gallon on any given day. It also screws up the economy and stock market as speculators bid up and down on the price. The price needs to remain consistent. We need to know what the price of gas is going to be in two months when we plan a trip, or trucking company accepts a contract for the next year.

Donovan Arnold