[Vision2020] Investigation of Moscow Fire Chief Complete

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Mar 13 03:35:01 PDT 2012

Courtesy of today's (March 13, 2012) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

------------------------------
Investigation of Moscow fire captain complete
Latah County Prosecutor Bill Thompson confirmed Monday his office has received an investigative report from the sheriff's office regarding a battery complaint by a former volunteer firefighter against Moscow Fire Capt. Dan Carscallen.
The sheriff's office took a walk-in report Feb. 19 from Benjamin Dill, 24, following an altercation at the emergency loading dock of Gritman Medical Center, where he claimed Carscallen, 43, had grabbed him by the arm.
Carscallen said he approached Dill at the hospital after learning the former ambulance volunteer had been riding in an ambulance with a current member responding to a medical call at Walmart without department clearance. He said that included paperwork regarding patient confidentiality guaranteed through the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. When Dill attempted to walk away from the conversation, Carscallen said, "I took hold of him on his coat, on his arm. He asked me to let him go and apparently I didn't let him go fast enough."
Sheriff's Lt. Brannon Jordan said the investigative report was sent to Thompson's office without a recommendation for charges, leaving it solely to the prosecutor's discretion.
Thompson said he appreciates law enforcement recommendations, but decisions about charges are ultimately up to his office.
"We have received the report, and we're in the process of reviewing it," said Thompson. "We hope to finalize a decision by next week."

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"If not us, who?
If not now, when?"

- Unknown