[Vision2020] Public Assistance pulled from lottery winner

Jay Borden jborden at datawedge.com
Thu Mar 8 09:09:11 PST 2012

"I kind of do.  I have no income, and I have bills to pay.  I have two
houses."

Jay

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/07/us/michigan-lottery-winner/index.html

(CNN) -- A Michigan woman who won the lottery but continued to receive
food assistance from the state government has had her benefits pulled,
officials said.

Amanda Clayton hit it big playing the Michigan Lottery. Like many
winners, she used her $1 million prize to buy a new house.

But the Lincoln Park, Michigan, resident continued to receive money in
another form -- $200 a month in state food assistance, according to CNN
Detroit affiliate WDIV <http://www.clickondetroit.com/> .

Her story made headlines, and on Thursday, the state's Department of
Human Services announced that she is no longer getting the benefits.

According to Michigan law, welfare recipients must report any changes in
assets or income to the agency within 10 days.

The department "relies on clients being forthcoming about their actual
financial status. If they are not, and continue to accept benefits, they
may face criminal investigation and be required to pay back those
benefits," Director Maura Corrigan said in a statement.

She said the agency supports new legislation that would verify whether
lottery winners receive state benefits.

"I thought that they would cut me off, but since they didn't, I thought,
maybe, it was OK because I'm not working," Clayton, 24, told WDIV when
it asked whether it was appropriate for her to receive the money.

A state lawmaker is trying to stop such assistance, which is not
illegal. He says the food assistance should not go to those who have
found riches through the lottery.

"We need to continue to protect our taxpayers' dollars ... and taxpayer
dollars should be going to those who really do need assistance,"
Michigan Rep. Dale Zorn of Ida Township told HLN's Vinnie Politan on
Wednesday.

In October, Clayton walked away with $1 million in the "Make Me Rich!"
lottery game show. She also bought a car, WDIV reported.

After taking a lump sum and paying taxes, the unemployed woman said she
ended up with just more than $500,000.

Asked if she had the right to the public assistance money, Clayton
answered, "I kind of do. I have no income, and I have bills to pay. I
have two houses."

Zorn said the state House has passed bills on the matter. One would
require a state agency to conduct an assets test if a citizen wins more
than $1,000 in lottery earnings. "That will trigger whether or not the
people are eligible to receive public assistance."

The legislature has not approved any final measures.

Clayton told WDIV she had wanted to continue using a food-assistance
card until it is cut off. "It's hard. I am struggling."