[Vision2020] "I Thought That I Would Never See a Pol Who Loved the Height of Trees" (Calvin Trillin)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Mar 6 12:29:34 PST 2012

“I love this state. It seems right here. The trees are the right height.”
            —Mitt Romney, in his home state of Michigan

-----------------------------------

"I Thought That I Would Never See a Pol Who Loved the Height of Trees"
By Calvin Trillin, Deadline Poet

"Away from here, I find no trees that please—
No trees at such a perfect height as these.
For me, I cannot ever be at ease
With trees that grow no higher than one’s knees
Or too tall trees that splinter in a freeze.
Wisconsin, sure, has bragging rights on cheese.
And California’s rich in Cantonese.
And Colorado’s where to take your skis.
Connecticut, of course, has Lyme disease.
At none of these am I prepared to sneeze.
But here we have the perfect height of trees."

Seeya later, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
Post Falls, Idaho

"If not us, who?