[Vision2020] Fluke on Limbaugh comment: 'I'm not going to be silenced'

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 09:03:53 PST 2012

Fluke on Limbaugh comment: 'I'm not going to be
silenced'<http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/02/fluke-on-limbaugh-comment-im-not-going-to-be-silenced/>

Posted by
CNN Senior Congressional Correspondent Dana
Bash<http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/tag/cnn-senior-congressional-correspondent-dana-bash/>

*(CNN) -* The Georgetown law student targeted by Rush Limbaugh for her
position on contraceptives said Friday she was "upset and outraged" when
she first heard the radio talk show host had called her a "slut."

"I felt probably the way many women do when they are called those types of
names," Sandra Fluke told CNN. "Initially hurt and then very quickly upset
and outraged because somebody is trying to silence you."

*– Follow the Ticker on Twitter:
@PoliticalTicker<http://twitter.com/politicalticker>
*

Fluke, who advocated last week in a Democratic hearing for the Obama policy
requiring employers provide free contraception coverage, said she was
sitting at a computer Wednesday when she read online that Limbaugh had
personally attacked her during his radio show.

Calling her a "slut" and "prostitute," Limbaugh has said if taxpayers are
going to pay for women to have sex, then they should post videos of their
activities so everyone can watch.

His comments have sparked a firestorm in the last two days, with Democrats
seizing on it as an opportunity to keep the political story alive.

President Barack Obama called Fluke on Friday to offer his support.

"That wasn't on my schedule for the day," Fluke joked, referring to Obama's
call. "But I was happy to add that to the schedule."

The law student told CNN she thinks* Limbaugh was "confused" about her
testimony.*

*"For starters, I didn't say that I should be paid for anything. What we
were talking about is private insurance covering a medical need. It has
nothing to do with the government paying for anything or taxpayers or
anything like that," she said.*

While Fluke attends a Jesuit university that does not cover contraception
as part of its health insurance plans, the school's president
defended<http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/02/first-on-cnn-boehner-hits-limbaughs-comments-as-inappropriate/>Fluke
on Friday.

Religiously-affiliated institutions, like Georgetown, oppose providing
contraception.

*While some Republicans argue abstinence as the best form of birth control,
Fluke said legislation needs to be realistic.*

*"We're talking about national legislation. Legislation has to reflect
reality, not ideology and I don't think that we can actually expect that
American women are going to stop engaging in healthy sexual behaviors,"
Fluke said.*

But the law student said women are not going to be "silenced" about the
issue.

"They're going to speak up for health care needs and what this means to
them and I'm certainly not going to be silenced," she said.

Being Rush Limbaugh means never have to saying "I made a mistake."

--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
art.deco.studios at gmail.com