[Vision2020] What a Bunch of Snakes

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 09:24:52 PST 2012

I agree with almost all the opinions expressed by Rose and Saundra, and
especially since Latah County Sheriff Candidate Rick Henderson claimed, if
elected, he would use the militia for certain tasks, like a response to a
natural disaster.  In helping to promulgate the militia message Steed again
pimps for the Tea Party and those to the right of the Tea Party.

And Sorry, even recognizing these group of fantasy crackpots as any kind of
asset and thus giving them a kind of legitimacy is not something any
elected or appointed should do.  In the case of natural disaster all of us
would be able to help, regardless of our beliefs.  We don't need to give a
coronation to crackpots as a group in order to recruit aid in emergencies.
The endorsement by Henderson is grounds enough by itself to reject his
candidacy.

If Steed was a genuine party leader with the community interests at heart,
he would have recruited some much better sheriff candidates in addition to
recruiting a quality candidate for prosecuting attorney, an office that has
been crying for needed change for some time.

When I lived in Boundary County, we had (and still do) self appointed
militias.  In some way they were a farce -- in the event of an emergency,
the best thing they could do would be to stay as far away as possible.  In
another way, they were a undesirable nuisance, trying to intmidate by
poorly concealed threats of violence against those that opposed them and
sometimes making parts of the woods unsafe for normal and traditional users.

Here's where I disagree with Rose and Saundra:

Also when I lived in Boundary County, there was a long serving public
figure (dead now, so I won't give a name).  Here was the dispute:  His
dwindling supporters admitted that there was a dispute about him,
particularly about his integrity and cronyism.  I remember the response
from a person usually modest, quiet, and non-controversial:

"Yes, there is a dispute.  Half the county thinks he is a prick.  The other
half thinks he is an asshole."

So with Walter Steed;   Rose and Saundra have chosen various epithets for
Steed.  I do not agree that these are wholly communicative.  I think the
correct public title for Steed should be "Mr. Slime" given his penchant for
concealing his financial and personal conflicts of interest with his
official duties, and other things including the genesis of his current
marriage.

I have had this argument with another Latah Citizen who is a conservative.
She thinks Steed should be known as "The Weasel" given his behavior
supplemented by his appearance.  She has a strong argument, but still I am
not completely swayed from the "Mr. Slime" title.

I am a political independent.  When I lived in Boundary County, many of my
close friends would have been classified then as conservative.  I have
fewer conservative friends here now mainly because the meaning of the word
"conservative" has shifted greatly toward extremism.  But those few
conservative friends are appalled by their party now and wished they had
paid much more attention when the election of the party chairperson
occurred.

w.

--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)