[Vision2020] What a Bunch of Snakes

Rosemary Huskey donaldrose at cpcinternet.com
Thu Mar 1 21:16:03 PST 2012

Walter Steed is in charge of the Republican Party in Latah County?  Tonight
he allied himself with an out of state Militia leading jackass.  What a sad
and sorry situation and what a nest of vipers.  The following was apparently
mailed to folks on the local GOP mailing list.  What a disgrace/.

Rose Huskey

*******

This is an announcement Jeff Williams, Pullman resident, Militia Leader
placed on his website about an hour ago.  (It appears that he thought better
of it and has subsequently taken it down)

"Jeff Williams Freeman <http://www.facebook.com/912patriotJW>

near Pullman, WA
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pullman-Washington/105722109462353>

Latah Gop <http://www.facebook.com/LatahGOP>  has done the honorable thing
and allowed my response to Schroeder to be distributed via the same email
list that his baseless defamation was sent to. A small victory for liberty!"

http://palouselibertyproject.com/images/PLP_medlogo.jpg

http://palouselibertyproject.com/images/doodads/shim.gif

http://palouselibertyproject.com/images/doodads/shim.gif

http://palouselibertyproject.com/images/doodads/shim.gif

PRESS RELEASE - February 29, 2012

Palouse Liberty Project Chairman Jeff Williams Responds to Barrett
Schroeder's baseless defamation and slander.

Note: On February 27, a press release was issued by Barrett Schroeder,
former chair of the Latah County GOP announcing his candidacy for District 5
State Senate. This document was sensational, defamatory and slanderous. This
press release from Palouse Liberty Project chairman Jeff Williams is in
response to that his statement ONLY, and should not be construed as
endorsement of any particular candidate.

To see the original press release from Schroeder CLICK HERE.
<http://palouselibertyproject.com/library/pressrelease20120229-bkg1.pdf>

Much to my surprise and dismay, I recently learned that a man I have never
met (or spoken to) found it necessary to defame and slander my character as
a launching pad for his campaign for Idaho State Senate in District 5, based
on my involvement with the local Tea Party, my involvement with Continental
Congress 2009, and my involvement with a local militia group.

These ad-hominem attacks can only be described as paranoid and bizarre,
especially when you consider that I am not running for political office, nor
am I currently involved with any campaign at any level in any jurisdiction;
I am not even a resident of Idaho.

Nonetheless, candidate Barrett Schroeder has raised a number of relatively
incoherent points to which I feel compelled to respond.

The Local Militia

Responding to attacks from Schroeder and others, let me first state
unequivocally that the 57/75 Bns. Lightfoot has NO agenda. We are an
apolitical entity. We do not endorse candidates. While members and I do hold
our own personal political viewpoints, they should not be construed as
representative of the group.

Schroeder states that the main reason he has chosen to run for office is to
prevent "another Ruby Ridge-type event" from occurring at our hand. Mr.
Schroeder's inability to distinguish between truth and fiction in this
regard is exceptionally disturbing, especially for someone purporting to
seek elected office.

The aforementioned Ruby Ridge incident was in no way, shape or form related
to a militia group, but we thank Schroeder for the purposefully negative and
spurious association.

More importantly, our recruiting materials (available to the public online
at www.5775lightfoot.com) clearly and unequivocally state that individuals
who hold a "personal philosophy based in hatred, offensive violence,
overthrow or vigilantism" are not welcome to join us. We provide a
comprehensive list of activities we do not condone or participate in, and
only those individuals who pass a comprehensive criminal background check
will be admitted as members.

Our group has spent a significant amount of time developing standards and
practices, which are publicly posted for all to see. We have never been
involved in any criminal activities. None of our members have a criminal
record. Even local law enforcement has given us their de facto endorsement,
provided we conduct ourselves lawfully. (Militias on the Palouse,
Moscow-Pullman Daily News, February 11 & 12, 2012) Yet every time some
agenda-driven moron comes out of the woodwork imagining and ascribing
nefarious intent to us, we must defend against their assertions, even when
there is no factual basis for their comments. There's a word for this kind
of activity, it's called "slander."

Furthermore, while Schroeder complains about our "secret" militia (I'm
thinking most "secret" groups don't have a website and/or Facebook account)
it is baseless and inflammatory comments such as those made by him and
others like him that motivate us to protect our privacy in the first place.
We don't wish to be secretive. On the contrary, we are proud of our training
and of our fellow militiamen, whom we hold both in friendship and high
esteem. We simply don't want to constantly waste our lives responding to
fear mongering and comments which are illegitimate and unsubstantiated. We
have no agenda. We have no political involvement, we have no manifesto and
we have no ulterior motives.

It is wholly unacceptable that Schroeder and others continue to engage in
the character assassination of men they have never met, do not know, and
have never been harmed by in any way - real or perceived. The fact that some
find this abhorrent practice acceptable is quite distressing, and any
individual who engages in these ridiculous and unsubstantiated smear tactics
should be ashamed of themselves.

If Schroeder wishes to impose a militia "litmus test" on every individual
running for public office, that's clearly his personal right to do so. Of
course, he wants to know if they support our implied and non-existent
agenda.

What I would like to know is if there are any candidates or elected
officials, from City Council to Congress (aside from Schroeder, of course)
who do not support the unalienable rights of association, assembly and
self-defense. If there are other candidates openly disdainful of the first
and second amendments as Schroeder seems to be, I'm sure many people would
be interested in those details.

The Articles of Freedom

Schroeder spends a great deal of time discussing another subject he clearly
knows nothing about, Continental Congress 2009 - an event I participated in
three years ago, held near Chicago, Illinois. Under the rules established by
the sponsoring organization, I was duly elected to my position where I
proudly and dutifully represented the State of Washington alongside my
colleague Darin Stevens, at the time from Spokane.

Regardless of the aspersions Schroeder wishes to cast on that event, the
stated and realized goal was to produce a document entitled "The Articles of
Freedom," the expressed purpose of which was to outline and document
specific violations of the U.S. Constitution, and then deliver that document
which also includes remedial instructions, to elected officials at both
state and federal levels.

It is accepted by many that government at all levels is growing far beyond
its constitutional constraints - and, in turn, usurping our natural rights.
The instructions we provided were designed to do nothing more than assist in
the restoration of constitutional rule of law. I am proud to have my name
associated with that document.

I firmly adhere to the perspective that our republic as a whole and
sovereign states individually are all in the process of a decline at best,
or - in a worst case evaluation - failure, and that the further we stray
from our founding principles, the worse our problems become. It is every
citizen's duty to hold their government accountable, and it is quite
puzzling as to why Schroeder could possibly be so incensed and disturbed by
such citizen involvement in these arenas.

It should also be duly noted that since legislators in all fifty states were
served with the Articles of Freedom, many of the ideas contained within have
been advanced as legislation, and some ideas even ratified into law. While
the authors of the Articles of Freedom cannot claim direct responsibility
for this, we all believe in the inherent power of ideas, especially amongst
principled and informed legislators. Some of those concepts have been
advanced regionally - in Idaho, a Firearms Freedom Act was introduced and
passed, and more recently a bill has been introduced which provides for the
use of gold and silver coin as sound, constitutional legal tender.

Schroeder seems to go far out of his way in his press release to either be
deceitful, or lacks a fundamental understanding of how documents (such as
The Articles of Freedom) are written in a legislative or committee-based
process; also not a promising trait for someone who aspires to enter public
office. I personally sat on two committees and assisted in writing the
Declaration and Resolves (page 1), Article 4: Militias, Firearms and the
Second Amendment (page 23) and the resolution section of Article 13:
Eligibility and the Natural Born Citizen Clause of Article 2, Section 1 of
the Constitution (page 73).

As to specific differences Schroeder may have with the those articles or
others I did not have a hand in writing, men of good conscience can
certainly differ. However, Schroeder seems to be plagued by what can only be
described as "selective" reading issues, taking items wildly out of context,
and purporting outright lies:

- "The document outlines their plans, specifically 1) forming a militia"

There can be no argument that Article 4: Militias, Firearms and the Second
Amendment directly encourages state governments to "Make statutes providing
for organizing, arming and disciplining the Militia and for governing such
part of them as may be called to serve." However, it doesn't encourage "A"
militia to form, but rather for all states to engage in this lawful,
well-regulated and historically viable activity. Additionally, it encourages
citizens to "Meet with your County Sheriff and ask for assistance and
guidance in establishing a Constitutional Militia;" e.g. - to be responsible
citizens, to obey the law, and to work directly with law enforcement in the
matter.

In truth, however, only a fraction of Article 4 is about the concept of the
constitutional militia. A majority of this particular article is focused on
the right to keep and bear arms as outlined by the second amendment, and to
abolish unconstitutional legislation that usurps the fundamental natural law
affirming the right to defense of one's life and property.

In his opening statement, Schroeder makes a point of mentioning that he is a
"Legacy Lifetime Member" of the National Rifle Association, yet he
vociferously attacks a document that simply encourages citizens to read and
research these issues, to defend their rights in a lawful manner, and to
take personal responsibility for their well being and security. Schroeder
clearly demonstrates that regardless of what membership he has purchased and
what certificate he might hang on his wall, he does not have even a
rudimentary understanding of the second amendment. Furthermore, after
reading his rambling screed, I have serious doubts as to whether he has read
or understands the constitution at all.

- "[The document outlines their plans,] 2) replacing sheriffs with their own
candidates..."

The last time I checked, in a constitutional republic, citizens are tasked
with the responsibility of electing representatives who reflect their values
and principles. In this bizarre statement, Schroeder seems to abhor the very
electoral process he purports to enter with this press release.

- "[The document outlines their plans,] 3) creating 'Citizens' Grand Juries'
to 'indict' elected officials..."

Again, selective reading and overt intellectual dishonesty. The AOF is
comprised of fifteen individual articles which end on page 93. The Appendix
begins on page 95. On that page the following text appears: "The following
materials are provided as additional historical and educational reference
data. They are not part of the official Articles of Freedom." Appendix 4 is
a section entitled "Activities for state and local action" with four
paragraphs of descriptive text explaining the origins of these ideas and the
reasons for including them in the document. They also clearly state (bold
faced and underlined):

"Taking any of this action may result in adverse reaction by those in
today's government. We recommend that no one should do anything that they do
not understand, believe in, and are not prepared to defend. Citizens are
encouraged to become knowledgeable about the law and the potential legal
consequences of their actions before taking them."

Then, in two short paragraphs, the potential use of citizen's grand juries
are mentioned as a suggestion to others wishing to take grassroots action
against out of control government.

While I'm not dismissive of this suggested action, I don't necessarily
endorse it, and I have never considered forming such an entity. In all
candor, I don't fully understand the concept. What I do know is this - as
free citizens, it is our right to establish and utilize any system of
organization, law or government that best suits the needs of the people.
There was this guy named Thomas Jefferson who felt the same way, when he
wrote:

"That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving
their just powers from the consent of the governed, - That whenever any Form
of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the
People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying
its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as
to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

In short, if Schroeder wishes to dismiss the foundational importance of the
Constitution AND the Declaration of Independence, it is his right to do so.
However, if those are his stated positions, he should never be elected to
public office.

- "[The document outlines their plans, to] 4) stop paying income taxes,
based on a false conspiracy theory about the 16th Amendment."

Another overt lie. Here, Schroeder presents himself as the final arbiter on
a near century-long debate regarding the ratification of the 16th Amendment
(which is also tied directly to the unconstitutional establishment of the
Federal Reserve and the issuance of fiat currency). The claim regarding the
16th Amendment is easily researched, and has been contemporarily advanced by
individuals such as historian and author G. Edward Griffin, historian and
author Dr. Thomas woods - Senior Fellow at the Ludwig Von Mises institute,
and congressman and presidential candidate Ron Paul, among many others.

In the section "Recommended Civic Actions by the People," The following
steps are suggested. First, citizens are encouraged to read and study the
issues. Second, citizens are encouraged to require law enforcement to force
compliance by the IRS with their own laws regarding levies and protect the
rights of the citizens within their respective jurisdictions. (in a nutshell
- their job), Third, if law enforcement officials or are unwilling to do
their job, replace them with others who will. Lastly, citizens are
instructed to "Prepare to withhold their income tax from the government" but
only "once the above steps of self-defense are in place." Claiming that this
section is a directive to simply stop paying taxes is false and a gross
misrepresentation of fact, and the last thing we need in any office is
another politician who parses and obfuscates in this matter - in order to
advance their agenda.

I could potentially write another volume on the overt lies and
misrepresentations by Schroeder regarding the Articles of Freedom, but I
will abstain at this time, especially considering the other unrelated smear
that must be addressed before this response can be adequately completed.

The Local Tea Party Movement

Schroeder claims that the [local] Tea Party movement has been "warped into
the militia movement." This claim is both idiotic and untrue. While I am
involved as both the elected chairman of the Palouse Liberty Project, and I
am involved in the militia, I do not promote the 57/75th at Palouse Liberty
Project meetings or events, and I am on record with an offer to tender my
resignation if members feel there is a conflict of interests. To date, no
member has expressed any concern, and have offered me nothing but support in
both endeavors.

But let's simply illustrate the folly of this argument by applying
Schroeder's own standard to himself.

We know he owns a business. He's an NRA member (even though he clearly
doesn't comprehend or support the 2nd Amendment), as an (alleged)
conservative, we'll presume that he goes to church most Sundays. He's been
the chair of the local Republican Party. So by his own flawed logic, at
church he must assume the lectern to preach the benefits of selling his fur
pelts, stump for GOP candidates, and then meet his fellow congregants on the
way out the door to sign them up for NRA memberships. Obviously, his church
has been "warped into the fur / firearm / Republican movement."

Of course this is an absurd rhetorical argument. But it's exactly the logic
employed by Schroeder in his press release. He conducts business at his
business, he explores his religion at church. Even Barrett Schroeder has the
ability to compartmentalize and be involved in multiple activities
simultaneously without those interests overlapping and contaminating one
another... just like I do.

Although - if his pastor reads this, he might like to request a little
overlap, something comes to mind about not bearing false witness...

To his additional claim that the militia, the Palouse Liberty Project, or I
am personally fronting candidates across the region to support his imagined
agenda is similarly outrageous and false. Neither the Palouse Liberty
Project or 57/75 Bns. LF endorse or support political candidates, and I
honestly couldn't even tell you who is running for Sheriff in Kootenai or
Benewah counties. I do not personally currently support any candidate for
Sheriff in Latah County, and I really don't know if I will.

Again, I don't LIVE there.

That being said, I applaud any Sheriff in ANY jurisdiction who would
consider the arrest a Federal Agent representing any out of control
bureaucracy who would violate the sovereignty of a state or her citizens, in
clear violation of the 9th and 10th amendments of the constitution. At the
end of the day, the only valid reason to have government or police officers
or sheriffs is to protect the rights of citizens.

Any Sheriff brave or principled enough to take such a stand not only has my
philosophical support and gratitude, but I will stand with any individual
who chooses to protect my most precious possession - my liberty.

Conclusion

There is an unattributed saying that goes something like this: "Politicians,
like diapers, have to be changed frequently - and for the very same reason."
Undoubtedly, since his press release of 27 February, there is a foul stench
in the air of District 5 politics, and it's name is Barrett Schroeder.

Yesterday, if you had asked me who he was, I would not have been able to
answer. Today, I know him as a man who precedes himself with a less than
admirable reputation, an unprincipled liar and fear monger who will say or
do anything to advance his own agenda, and a man who clearly does not
cherish the very constitutional principles he would gain office to preserve,
protect and defend.

Most politicians at least wait until their election has been secured before
trashing the constitution, fear mongering and lying. Not Schroeder.

At least he's being up front and honest about something with the voters of
Latah and Benewah counties; that when it comes to his election strategy,
there's no lie too big, and no conspiracy theory or fear mongering too
absurd.

How nice to know this in advance of an election, for a change.

I urge voters to reject this obscene style of dirty politics, and show
Schroeder the exit door to his political career.

Jeff Williams
Chairman
Palouse Liberty Project

Permission to reprint this press release is APPROVED, provided such
reproduction is not modified or edited in any way. Modified or edited
reproduction is DENIED. Modified or edited reproduction without express
written consent will be considered a violation of copyright and the DCMA,
and constitutes infringement under 17 U.S.C. Section 101 et seq. resulting
in liability for statutory damages as high as $150,000 as set forth in
Section 504(c)(2) t