[Vision2020] So, This is What Being a Libertarian is All About . . .

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 30 00:11:27 PDT 2012

Joe,

I agree with you that primary reason many hard working Americans cannot get proper documentation for US Citizenship in this country is because they are Hispanic. It is obviously the reason because this nation is not prejudiced against hard workers or cheap labor.

The undocumented Hispanic population does have social and economic problems, but that is mostly because they face bigotry and poor wages. Any race or group would have these problems if the country treated them this way.

I do however disagree that raised wages of seasonal farm workers would significantly increase the costs of food and produce in the United States. The wages and benefits of these hard workers are so low that a doubling or maybe even tripling of these wages would be a negligible increase in the total cost of production and delivery of our food supply.

The wages are low because some businesses take advantage of these workers because they are unable to get the documentation that they need to stay here, and their options of better working conditions and pay are limited.

The undocumented status hurts the wages and working conditions of not only those who cannot get documentation, but also poorer unskilled and semiskilled workers. No employer is going to hire a hard working US citizen at a fair market rate with full benefits when they can hire an undocumented one with no benefits at minimum wage. Even if an employer wanted to do so, they would be wiped out by their competition that would.

Hard working Americans, documented or not, deserve better wages, better benefits, and better working and living conditions. Our treatment of Hispanics in this country is nothing less than inhumane and a disgrace to the country's claims of equality for all. This nation is a nation of diversity and equality. Hispanics are a part of this country, always have been. And if someone doesn't except that, they don't accept America, and they are not true Americans.

Donovan J. Arnold