[Vision2020] Handgun Clinic

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 24 14:38:23 PDT 2012

I'd say the difference between safety and self defense is the difference
between protecting yourself or others from your own actions and
protecting yourself or others from other's actions.

You make it sound like they are teaching people to hunt intruders in
their own home for fun and profit.  Think of the intruders!

Idaho doesn't have a stand-your-ground law, but you can protect yourself
from someone breaking into your house and trying to commit a felony
(justifiable homicide defense number 2):
http://legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title18/T18CH40SECT18-4009.htm

Perhaps they need a class for would-be intruders that lets them know
that it is sometimes hard to ascertain their intent when the home-owner
awakens from a deep sleep to hear their window downstairs being broken
and the sounds of footsteps, and that if they plan to hide packages
under their tree or exchange coins for teeth that they might want to
announce their intentions first. Perhaps even knock on their door
instead of just breaking in. Some people are for some reason jumpy about
strangers that have broken in to their own homes and might take their
unannounced visit as a threat to themselves or their family.  Seems like
common sense, but that seems to be in short supply these days.

On the other side of it, a course for self-defense sounds like a good
idea.  They might even go into when you can or can't protect yourself
and when you can assume that you are in danger and how you go about
ascertaining that fact.  That might prove to be useful as well.  Does
anyone know if this handgun clinic covered this material?

Paul