[Vision2020] Those Damned Liberals!

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Fri Jun 8 01:39:24 PDT 2012

Of course, back in the days when children were chattel property and it was
peachy fine for parents to opt to send even very young children out to work
to help to support families rather than to receive education (not to mention
beating them to within an inch of their lives, and worse), gutting education
didn't matter, did it?  There was less need for public education when it was
"legal" for children to work the midnight shift, was there?

Oh, wait . . . that's one of the points of the current GOP strategy, isn't
it?  Children don't need no stinkin' government education, and there's no
need for workplace safety, fair wages, health care, or any of that commie
subversivo crappola.

Uh-huh.  It never ceases to amaze me that those who claim to have such a
great grasp of US history have forgotten why we became the greatest nation
in the world:  those who came before us recognized problems that compromised
health, safety, and human rights, and the majority didn't shrink from
demanding meaningful reform here at home.  They didn't quit demanding
progress that improved our standard of living and our quality of life.  They
weren't oh, so willing to throw all their neighbors under the bus just for a
personal buck.  IOW, they didn't wimp out, no matter how arduous the battle.

Saundra
Moscow, ID

The highest realms of thought are impossible to reach without first
attaining an understanding of compassion.
~ Socrates