[Vision2020] carbon tax

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 15:49:30 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 5:01 PM, Donovan Arnold <donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
> wrote:

"I still think the best way to fight the carbon pollution is to force the
engineering of more fuel efficient systems rather than sucking what little
resources away they have left from those that must use them."

Actually, upon a moments reflection, I realized in the past I have agreed
in part, in different terms, with this statement.

It has been advocated that to quickly transition away from fossil fuels a
massively funded "Manhattan" style project, to develop new energy
technologies, whether it be the promise of fusion power, next gen fission,
solar, wind, geothermal, wave, tidal, biofuels, fuel cells, etc. or even
coal with massive CCS (carbon storage and sequestration), the later being a
very questionable technology.  A few sources on this idea are below.  Some
approach this not primarily from the climate change problem, but from the
national security risks of continued massive dependence on fossil fuels,
especially oil; and of course eventually no matter how we force the issue
extracting fossil fuels, they will run out:

http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/jfq_pubs/1339.pdf
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-d-intriligator/why-we-need-a-new-manhatt_b_544464.html
--------------------------------
Please provide a specific reference or references regarding your statements
about the "Mom and Pop distribution businesses" going extinct, under
Australia's "Clean Energy Future" plan:
http://www.cleanenergyfuture.gov.au/clean-energy-future/securing-a-clean-energy-future/

You may be right.  There will be winners and losers under this plan.  No
economic system, of any kind, guarantees everyone doing every job unending
economic survival, with changing technology and environments.   But most
low and middle income families are compensated on average to offset the
increases in the costs of goods and services associated with the carbon tax.

Consider this plan an experiment.  If it does not work as expected, it can
be changed or some other plan adopted.

But at least it is a start, though too late and too little, given the
magnitude of the problem.

What is appealing about NASA climate scientist James Hansen's fee and
dividend plan is actually how little government engineering of the economy
is involved.  For the most part, the plan is to assess a carbon fee at the
well head or mine for domestic fossil fuels, or at the point of importation
of imported fossil fuels, distribute all the fees (100%) to the citizens,
in a manner commensurate with their economic position, and let the economic
choices of citizens decide if a intensive fossil fuel economy or a more
alternative energy economy will result.

The fees are not put in government coffers to be handed out as pork by
politicians... Well, at least ideally.
No government support for boondoggles like solar cell company Solyndra,
though I do not mean to say I oppose all government subsidies of
alternative energy technology.

Info below on a fee and dividend system presented to the US Congress:
Carbon Tax and 100% Dividend vs. Tax and Trade
Testimony of James E. Hansen
Committee on Ways and Means
US House of Representatives
http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/2009/WaysAndMeans_20090225.pdf