[Vision2020] carbon tax

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 01:10:59 PDT 2012

How will your tax be less of a burden on the poor than a general
carbon tax? Have you done the math?

Also, you seem to think that inefficient vehicles are worth penalizing
but if the goal is to reduce carbon, why not cast a wider net? If it
is OK to penalize the poor for their choice of automobiles, why not
other choices that increase rather than decrease carbon?

I agree with your point that money should go toward public
transportation. But I think public transportation is something that
would pay for itself: fewer cars on the road = fewer accidents, road
wear, etc. = fewer tax dollars spent. We should develop better forms
of mass transportation and encourage folks to use mass transportation
more often, regardless of issues about a carbon tax. If more folks
used it, it would pay for itself. Of course, that is true of almost
anything!